walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wissed up Cacra & the Cleuch

Wissed up Cacra & the Cleuch

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cacra Hill, The Wiss, Turner Cleuch Law

Date walked: 01/04/2018

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 730m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the recent 'unsuitable' weather a window appeared before the next grotty stuff is scheduled to arrive, so I contacted George to see if he fancied a wee leg stretch and as usual he jumped at the chance. Parminder was also invited and as he had a rare spare family free day, he also fancied some fresh air and as he was a Marilyn virgin a totally new experience was on the cards.
The plan was to visit Cacra Hill first which was going to be a straight up and down, then head back along the road we had already driven down and pick off Turner Cleuch Law & The Wiss.
I offered to drive and we agreed to meet and pick up Parminder at Straiton Park & Ride at 9.30,
It was a pleasant surprise to drive near Edinburgh on a Sunday and the roads were so quiet and we were slightly early - but Parminder had already been waiting half an hour for us :lol:
So off we set, the Pentlands had a nice dusting of the white stuff as we glanced to our right. I opted to avoid Penicuik as it is a pain to drive through and there was snow lying at the side of the road on our way to Peebles.
We arrived in the area of the start for the Cacra adventure, now it was just a matter of finding a parking spot.

Parking spot and my colleagues were sorting out all the technology

Cacra Hill summit somewhere up there

Low level look back

We opted to follow a grassy track that took us round the north side of the hill

We soon left the track and headed uphill over the very recent slight dumping of snow

Looking south ish

George admiring the view

Not far now

The 3 stone summit of Cacra Hill

George posing for Parminder to celebrate his first Marilyn

Descending our usual way - direct

Parminder at the tail - as usual

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cacra Hill

Cacra took us just about an hour, it was boots off and the short drive to our next and final parking spot which would be utilised as the start for both of our next hills.

Nice layby which was positioned in an ideal spot to tackle both hills

Before we set off up Turner Cleuch Law we decided to lighten our rucksack weight by eating our lunch, I bet there aren't many folk who have eaten there lunch at that particular layby. One thing that we did notice was about a dozen or so empty Bud lager tins just lying at the side of the road, what sort of idiot leaves empty tins behind them, pathetic.

Looking uphill, plenty of snow

We knew from reading the few reports available that Turner Cleuch Law (TCL) was going to be steep and we were climbing as soon as we left the road. The good thing about TCL is that the height is gained quickly and the summit isn't that far as the crow flies.

Looking back down on the road, only George can inform us what he was pointing at?

Looking uphill, you can see a dip in the terrain ahead so we opted to head off to the left

Looking across the road to our final hill, The Wiss

Arty shot for the day, looking through a fire break

Photo time as we neared the summit

Looking along the broad ridge to the north off the summit

The summit area

Added an extra fence post that was embedded in the mud to enhance the summit

Looking south

Our next target zoomed, the trig on top of The Wiss

Now for the descent

The descent off TCL was the highlight of the day, great fun - you can't beat descending on firmish snow, certainly beats tufty grass that is for sure. The next group of photo's hopefully demonstrate the fun that can be had descending.

George volunteered to be the snow guinea pig, carefully assessing the conditions and then we followed with gusto

Parminder gingerly walking in George's snow steps

George so confident he was walking backwards - videoing the expert descenders

Parminder taking a photo of me taking a photo of him, or something like that

The next section

Looking back, I wasn't daft enough to walk backwards

Next section

Any guesses as to who was at the rear?

This shot indicates why we chose to descend on the snow

Less snow as we get lower

Oh good another long patch

George striding towards the large expertly constructed cairn

Not far now, still a bit of height to lose

Parminder forgot to take the bravery pills and wimped out by walking round one of the last tiny patches of white stuff

Parminder took a bravery pill, not a wuss anymore

George waiting patiently

Layby from a slight height, no stopping for us, straight over the road and up The Wiss - so to speak

Not much traffic interfering with our progress

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Turner Cleuch Law

Once across the road there is a short descent, we were expecting a bogfest and it didn't materialise until I stupidly said to George that the going was much better than anticipated. The bogfest reminded me of the swamp you encounter up in the far NW when tackling the Fisherfield, the good news was the bog here was only 50m or so, instead of the 1km on the way to Shenavall Bothy.
We had already scanned the hillside ahead and decided on a route we were going to try and follow. George was once again striding out and surprisingly even on the ascents.

About to reach swampy boggy stuff

We were going to follow a path that kind of traversed and ascended, bit of a mess as usual after the trees have been felled

Looking back to Turner Cleuch

Similar photo to the one above, but from slightly higher

Not too steep

The way ahead, summit not visible for quite a while yet

Hardly any snow on The Wiss, summit trig can be seen now

St Mary's Loch

George taking in the views

Parminder eventually arriving, we had eaten a 3 course lunch whilst waiting....

The Wiss has it's own littling paddling pool next to the trig

Looking westish

Zoomed shot across to our last summit

Striding across the burn

Bog trot back to the car

Not a pleasant sight

Parminder trying to stay on the higher ground, not easy

The Wiss

This turned out to be a cracking day the highlight I think was fairly obvious, purely by the number of photo's. No more walking for me until a flying visit up to Braemar to say hello again to the Cairngorms, hopefully I will cope with the ambitious plans.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Wissed up Cacra & the Cleuch

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 pm

I think your car needs a wash Martin :lol:

Looking forward to ticking off The Wiss at some point soon, as the other two have already been ticked. From the ribbing he gets I am assuming Parminder must walk about the same pace as me :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Wissed up Cacra & the Cleuch

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm

PeteR wrote:I think your car needs a wash Martin :lol:

Looking forward to ticking off The Wiss at some point soon, as the other two have already been ticked. From the ribbing he gets I am assuming Parminder must walk about the same pace as me :lol:

Car still hasn'r been washed yet Pete :shock:
The Wiss isn't that exciting Pete, but am sure you will enjoy it :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland