walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The view from Sgurr an Fhidhleir

The view from Sgurr an Fhidhleir

Postby WanderUllapool » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Route description: Sgùrr an Fhìdhleir - the Fiddler

Fionas included on this walk: Sgùrr an Fhidhleir

Date walked: 24/03/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 590m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr an Fhidhleir
The Fiddler

In the hills of Coigach. The summit of Sgurr an Fhidleir looks out over the majestic peaks of Inverpolly and Assynt.

After being notified that there may be a chance of the Aurora Borealis making an appearence that night. The thought of going up Sgurr an Fhidhleir started playing in my mind. I checked the weather forecast to find that clear skies had been reported for the rest of the day and night.

I wanted to get up to view the Northern lights from the summit before the summer months come, so it was looking good.

Leaving from Ullapool at 1400 hrs, I made my way by car towards Achiltibuie and onward to the small Culnacraig car park, arriving at 1450 hrs, where I would start the walk.

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 1.jpg
Culnacraig

Once I had the camera gear packed up, I would leave the car and start to ascend at 1500 hrs. I would follow a rough path up, keeping in between Beinn nan Caorach and Ben Mor Coigach.

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 2.jpg
Crossing a river first

There were some clouds about, but after seeing the forecast earlier on I was hoping by the time I got up there they would clear away. The first half of the ascend is quite steep. I think I may have stopped 3 times going up, each for a couple of minutes, just to take in the views... Or so I told myself while panting away.

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 3.jpg
Looking up to the The peak of Ben Mor Coigach

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 4.jpg
Looking back toward the Summer Isles

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 5.jpg
Following the track to Sgurr an Fhidhleir

After an easy middle part of the walk, it starts to steepen up again for the final push, and where I lost the path, or maybe it fades away near the top anyway. The cloud was rolling in, with the wind picking up the further I get.

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 6.jpg
Near the peak of Sgurr an Fhidhleir

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 7.jpg
Torridonian sandstone near the peak of Sgurr an Fhidhleir

Reaching the summit of Sgurr an Fhidhleir - 1625 hrs

It's not until the top that the breathtaking landscape of Inverpolly and Assynt comes into view.

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 1200.jpg
Looking out over Coigach, Inverpolly & Assynt

The weather wasn't improving at all. The wind was a lot stronger at the top, as you would expect, but along with it came the occasional horizontal snow shower.

Sgurr an Fhidhleir 8.jpg
Incoming snow shower from Loch Broom

After being up there for around 30 minutes some thick cloud rolled in, and the views were no longer visable.

Sgurr an Fhidleir 9.jpg

Sgurr an Fhidleir 10.jpg
Just off the summit of Sgurr an Fhidleir

The clouds came and went every 5 minutes for about half an hour. When it cleared, the views were stunning as the sunlight brushed across the landscape through the breaks in the clouds. Although the strong wind stayed, and with the clouds still there, seeing the Aurora after the sun had set wasn't looking hopeful. Even if it had, I'm not sure the tripod would have been up to much against that wind.

Sgurr an Fhidleir 1200.jpg
Nikon was out for this one

Sgurr an Fhidhlier 1200 2.jpg

About 1730 hrs, it wasn't any better. Being up there in tracksuit bottoms, not being dressed for the occasion I decided to call it a day. 50 minutes later at 1820 hrs I was getting back into my car, and ready to drive back to Ullapool.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

WanderUllapool
Hill Bagger

Re: The view from Sgurr an Fhidhleir

Postby Stefan1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Stunning shots looking out over Assynt! Stunning!
Stefan1

Re: The view from Sgurr an Fhidhleir

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Some wonderful images there, with the soft, wrinkled pink curves of the Torridonian sandstone in the foreground, and the remarkable towers of Stac Polaidh beyond.

We spent 3 days last week looking up at both the Nose of S a F and SP from the a wild camp on the sandy south shore of Lurgainn. Its simply the best place in the world.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland