walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Base Brown + Seathwaite Fell - Wild Camp

Postby A Drunken Taffer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:52 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Base Brown, Seathwaite Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Base Brown

Date walked: 07/04/2018

Time taken: 15

Distance: 12.8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As the skies were clear I thought I would box 2 more Wainwrights off along with the first night under canvass of 2018. I parked on the road leading to Seathwaite Farm quite late on in the day; but it was still packed. I shouldered my gear and headed off towards Base Brown, I climbed up to the left of the peak; following the path around the North of the fell and came up between Base Brown and Green Gable. I took a short route up to the top of Base Brown and from there headed down to Styhead Tarn.

Styhead Tarn was quite busy, I counted 6 tents at least; it was Easter holidays still I suppose. I wandered around the side of Styhead and followed the path leading to Sprinkling Tarn.

At first I thought i was alone at Sprinkling, but sure enough I counted another 6 tents all clustered together. With this in mind I took myself over the headland toward Seathwaite Fell and camped out of their view.

Pleasant night in the tent; was a bit windy but a peaceful flat pitch. Didn't hear anything from my fellow campers; just the way I like it.

The next morning was overcast but not raining; I packed up the tent and wandered across to Seathwaite Fell. From here I descended down Aaron Crags; not particularly difficult, but definitely harder than following the path! It certainly woke me up haha!

From the base of Aaron Crags I connected back with the path and walked back to Seathwaite Farm and the car. A good night out; am already planning the next excursion. 8)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Drunken Taffer
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:124   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland