walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CCP - Ruin 1 Mile North of Loch Ordie

CCP - Ruin 1 Mile North of Loch Ordie

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Date walked: 07/04/2018

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 25.9 km

Ascent: 389m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bit of a grey day today but noticeably milder and the snow has had a shift.

Started just after 7am and the legs couldn't be bothered this morning. Reached Mill Dam in a depressingly slow 37 mins, Raor Lodge in 1 hour and the bridge at the far end of Loch Ordie in an awful 1hr 37 mins.

With temperatures higher the mud on the track beyond Loch Ordie was on form and the pace slowed and the legs tired even more.

About halfway through the 3 mile mud section the feet went from under me and I did a full on dive in to the wet stuff.

By the time I got back to Loch Ordie I was far more tired than I should have been but in the distance I could see someone walking at a good pace towards Raor Lodge so decided to use this person as a target to help me get some pace going.

It took me till half a mile shy of Mill Dam to catch and pass my target who was setting a fare old pace. Tried to keep things together for the last couple of miles and in the end I managed to finish with an average moving speed of 3.6mph which bearing in mind the track conditions north of Loch Ordie wasn't quite as awful as it felt.

Four weeks to go till the Cotswold Way and I am nowhere near the fitness levels of the last few years. My weight is no better but at least I've managed to lose 7lbs in the last two weeks (13 still to go before June walk) meaning I've lost 10lb so far this year. It's noticeable how I've shed weight as soon as I have upped my walking mileage.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland