walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Posing stags on perfect day on South Loch Ness Trail

Posing stags on perfect day on South Loch Ness Trail

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Route description: Loch Ness 360: Fort Augustus to Foyers

Date walked: 29/03/2018

Distance: 16.5 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For our final stage of the South Loch Ness Trail (which would normally be the first but we changed the order to suit the weather) we left one car at Foyers and drove together to Loch Tarff. The parking is at the north end of the loch, off the road to the right and through a gate. As soon as we stepped out of the car we were struck by what a beautiful morning it was. Blue sky, reflections in Loch Tarff and gleaming white peaks in the south west. Seeing the distinctive shape of Ben Tee I thought of Mary who was airlifted off with a broken ankle on a similarly gorgeous day about this time 3 years ago.

Zoomed to conical Ben Tee, slightly left of centre
IMG_5282-large.JPG

Excellent path climbs north
IMG_5284-large.JPG

The well made path starts behind the parking area and zig-zags uphill at a comfortable gradient. We made slow progress only because we stopped so often to take photos of the ever improving view.

A beautiful island-studded loch
IMG_5289-large.JPG

Look who slipped into the picture
IMG_5297-largec.JPG

What a poser
IMG_5298-large.JPG

Inversion over Loch Ness
IMG_5304-large.JPG

North to the Great Glen (with another poser bottom right)
IMG_5310-largec.JPG

In addition to the red deer there were roe deer around and a couple of times we heard their high pitched alarm call letting the area know we were there.

South to Loch Lochy Munros
IMG_5312-large.JPG

The path skirted to the right of the pointed top Carn an t-Suidhe so I took the short detour to the top to have a look.

Zoomed south from Carn an t-Suidhe
IMG_5314-largec.JPG

The path then dropped a little before rising to the viewpoint Suidhe Chuimein, which is roughly parallel to the layby viewpoint on the road below. Owing to the haze looking north the view over Stratherrick wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. Stratherrick was always a special place to my father as his mother Isabella Shaw came from a croft at Oldtown and as a boy he spent many a summer fishing the burns there. I remember being taken with my brothers and cousins for a big family picnic there and fishing for trout, very much hoping I wouldn't catch one as I didn't want to kill it. Needless to say with an attitude like that my fishing career didn't progress much further!

Undulating path looking north
IMG_5318-large.JPG

There's a path from the viewpoint down to the road but we took the left fork to continue through an area of recently felled forestry towards Loch Knockie.

Felled area
IMG_5323-largec.JPG

The path is well signed and easy to follow. Having already done the other stages of the SLNT we reckoned this was the best part, both for scenery and quality of path, and were glad we'd kept it to last and got such a beautiful day for it.

Meall Fuar-mhonaidh and Loch Knockie
IMG_5325-large.JPG

When the track met a minor road from Knockie Lodge we turned right and followed it the main road where we turned left.

Minor road from Knockie Lodge
IMG_5329-largec.JPG

Immediately after turning left on the main road there's a waymarker at a right turn on to a track which leads to the river.

Follow the SLNT sign
IMG_5330-large.JPG

Cumrack Burn and Monadhliath
IMG_5332-large.JPG

We followed the river to the footbridge over the Cumrack Burn, which we crossed.

Footbridge
IMG_5333-large.JPG

We continued along the far side of the burn until a post indicated where to turn right through an area of woodland.

North to Meall Fuar-mhonaidh (M's pic)
29750175_10156194563993788_2393797622042130835_o-large.jpg

The path led through trees to a gate beside a ditch, then over the ditch and continued on the other side with views south to the Monadhliath mountains.

South to Monadhliath
IMG_5336-largec.JPG

The track came out on a minor road where we turned left and passed Killiechoilum then along a long straight section to a T junction where we turned left. This led to a bridge high over the river.

River Foyers from road bridge
IMG_5337-large.JPG

Immediately after the bridge the way is marked by a sign to the right on a path through woodland. Parts of this path were muddy - the muddiest part of the day.

Follow the sign
IMG_5338-large.JPG

The muddy path soon led on to the main road to Whitebridge so anyone wanting to avoid muddy feet could stay on the road after the bridge and turn right on to the main road a bit earlier. There is a hotel at Whitebridge, a second information board about the South Loch Ness Trail (first one being at Loch Tarff) and General Wade's bridge.

Information board at Whitebridge
IMG_5339-large.JPG

General Wade's bridge over the River Foyers was built in 1732 and was later succeeded by the present road bridge, but Wade's bridge is more photogenic than the newer one.

General Wade's bridge
IMG_5340-large.JPG

Before crossing the bridge we turned left on to a very minor road that follows the river downstream which eventually took us to Dell Farm where we followed the signs round the farm and along a grassy track crossing a couple of minor burns and then to a ford with stepping stones.

Stepping stones at ford
IMG_5343-largec.JPG

When we reached a larger track it curved to the right as it crossed a bridge high above the Upper Falls of Foyers and led to the main road where we turned left to walk downhill through part of the village of Foyers to where we left the car in the car park beside the Waterfall Cafe. From there we took the short drive to Cameron's Tea Room and Farm Shop for some calorific intake.

Camerons Tea Room (M's pic)
29597299_10156194593368788_8410025094009244880_n-large.jpg

On the way back to collect the car at Loch Tarff we stopped briefly at the roadside viewpoint. Back in the 1960s my elderly grandparents made the decision to move from the Highlands to Yorkshire, to be near where we were then living. It wasn't an easy move for them as their hearts were in the Highlands and my granny's last request before leaving was to come here to see the view for one last time - of Stratherrick, her childhood home. The blue sky of the morning had clouded over but I took a photo anyway.

Granny's last view of Stratherrick
IMG_5345-largec.JPG

For me the South Loch Ness Trail was a great walk to do. Not only was it a good preparation for doing the West Highland Way, but also very special to walk in the area my granny and father loved so much. I only wish I could tell them.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Posing stags on perfect day on South Loch Ness Trail

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Great report, already got me thinking of this as a walk for this year.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby shredder » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm

These are really beautiful photos of Loch Tarff.

I thought I'd seen that one with the stag before somewhere! Wasn't it on BBC Scotland last week? :clap:
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Great photos, Loch Tarff is somewhere I visit often. You get some great sunsets there.
20161020_180512 (1).jpg

I don't know if you have been up the hill Beinn a'Bhacaidh from Loch Tarff, it is well worth a visit - a brilliant viewpoint and quite a complex summit area. Last time I was up there it was near white out conditions at one point and the loch was frozen.

Frozen Loch Tarff
20150124_113527 (640x480).jpg

That viewpoint from the high point on the road that your granny wished to visit before she left, we call The Top of the World. A great spot.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm

I've never walked in the area of land to the south of Loch Ness but this makes me want to go - looks brilliant!!

Great photos of your day (including Cameron's Tea Room).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 pm

litljortindan wrote:Great report, already got me thinking of this as a walk for this year.

It's an enjoyable walk but watch out for second half of section from Foyers to Dores with possible diversion signs due to felling. :problem:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 pm

shredder wrote:These are really beautiful photos of Loch Tarff.

I thought I'd seen that one with the stag before somewhere! Wasn't it on BBC Scotland last week? :clap:

Ah yes.... well spotted! :D
dogplodder

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am

Gordie12 wrote:I've never walked in the area of land to the south of Loch Ness but this makes me want to go - looks brilliant!!

Hear hear! Looks lovely, and I got a lump in my throat reading about your grandmother's move and request.
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great photos, Loch Tarff is somewhere I visit often. You get some great sunsets there.

Your sunset photo of Loch Tarff is stunning!

I don't know if you have been up the hill Beinn a'Bhacaidh from Loch Tarff, it is well worth a visit - a brilliant viewpoint and quite a complex summit area. Last time I was up there it was near white out conditions at one point and the loch was frozen.

No I've not, but now that you mention it I would like to do that sometime.

That viewpoint from the high point on the road that your granny wished to visit before she left, we call The Top of the World. A great spot.
All the best :D

Yes she called it that too! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I've never walked in the area of land to the south of Loch Ness but this makes me want to go - looks brilliant!!

This area is often missed but it's lovely. One of the benefits is we didn't meet anyone until a couple on bikes near Foyers, not a soul on the middle section and only one other walker on the bit between Dores and Torbreck. So if it's peace and quiet you're after head this way! I think the WHW which we're doing next week will be very different. 8)
dogplodder

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:12 am

dogplodder wrote:

This area is often missed but it's lovely. One of the benefits is we didn't meet anyone until a couple on bikes near Foyers, not a soul on the middle section and only one other walker on the bit between Dores and Torbreck. So if it's peace and quiet you're after head this way! I think the WHW which we're doing next week will be very different. 8)

It may not be as bad as you think DP. Still quite early in the year and if you avoid a Saturday start it shouldn't be too busy. Hope you get better weather than when I did it in 2013 (hadn't realised it was 5 years ago now :shock: )
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:

Hear hear! Looks lovely, and I got a lump in my throat reading about your grandmother's move and request.

I had a lump in my throat looking at that view! When my father first told me I didn't understand it the way I do now. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
It may not be as bad as you think DP. Still quite early in the year and if you avoid a Saturday start it shouldn't be too busy. Hope you get better weather than when I did it in 2013 (hadn't realised it was 5 years ago now :shock: )

Forecast is for light rain every day we're walking - apart from one when it's just cloud. But it could be worse. No gales, blizzards, thunder or lightning so we'll settle for that! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby RainbowZimbo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Really lovely pics and good review. I will be starting this South Loch Ness trail tomorrow from Fort Augustus, then coming back via the Great Glen Way to return to Fort Augustus.

Felt quite sad that your granny had to leave here... shame :( But she got years with her grandbabies instead I guess.
RainbowZimbo
Wanderer

Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland