walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taming the Law Kneis Jungle

Taming the Law Kneis Jungle

Postby McMole » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Law Kneis

Date walked: 08/04/2018

Time taken: 2.7 hours

Distance: 3.8 km

Ascent: 275m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When Jaywizz asked on Saturday evening if I wanted to accompany her up Law Kneis the next day, my reply was an immediate 'Yes!'. I was there last June, the forecast was good and I wondered how the different season would affect the route. There would be much less vegetation lower down to fight through, but what depth of snow might await us higher up in the forest?
Law Kneis route s.gif
Repeating my June route we started at the Tima Water car park and headed up the forest road to turn right and climb uphill beside White Sike.
P1020558 s.JPG
Climbing up from the forest road with White Sike on the left and Wedder Law in the distance
Without the bracken this section was easier and I kept our route outside the felled section of forest with its stumps, branches and other trip hazards that I had 'enjoyed' last June.
P1020577 s.JPG
Some pale primroses for the botanists
P1020559 s.JPG
Looking down from the forest road at 400m
Once at the higher forest road we took the forest break that heads east.
P1020560 s.JPG
The forest break
This did have patches of snow, but most were not deep and hardly slowed us down. Except when we came to the junction for our turn to the right when I had a sinking feeling as I discovered an over waist-deep disguised ditch.
P1020574 s.JPG
Where we turned right
Fortunately it was only snow that filled it, not water. The next 330m section to the forest non-fence had, as I well-remembered, a fine selection of toppled trees.
P1020573 s.JPG
Ducking under the third tree on the way back
We ducked under the first three then walked past the root 'balls' of the next set.
P1020572 s.JPG
Passing the next set of toppled trees
From there we found an improved route for about the next 170m. Instead of wading through the snow along the break, a fine dry snow-free avenue runs parallel to it just one tree row to the right. Branches protruded across it from the trees on either side. Most were rotten and just brushing past led to many falling to the ground.
WH Ivan on forest path.jpg
No snow, hardly any obstructions, and a solid dry path!
The branches here bore a fine growth of moss.
P1020567 s.JPG
A fine crop of moss
moss or lichen s.jpg
Close up of the moss
We needed a more expert botanist with us to identity it. My Illustrated Book of Flowerless Plants suggests a variety of Hypnum cupressiforme, but which one?
P1020562 s.JPG
Easy walking parallel to the forest ride
Our shady avenue led back to the break with only about 50m to go to the line of rotting posts marking the former fence. A narrow animal track then led us along next to them to a fine self-sown conifer that can be only a few metres from the summit, though which clump of heather should get that title must be open to debate. The highest appeared to be the result of ditch digging.
P1020563b s.JPG
Looking SW from the summit area - choose your tussock! Reported NGR is to the right of the tree
P1020564 s.JPG
Looking NE from summit
After five minutes admiring the views and bemoaning the passing of the earlier sunshine we started back into the forest to escape the cold breeze. The edge of the forest there is not distinct and if you hadn't noted carefully where you left it (or your GPS hadn't done it for you!) it would be easy to head down a different and potentially more difficult route. We retraced our route back to the car only stopping to take a few more photographs of the route and the moss hanging from the trees. An uncomplicated and trouble-free walk thanks to previous experience and choosing a better time of year to walk it.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Taming the Law Kneis Jungle

Postby g4obk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 am

Thank you McMole for a great insight into a good route up the awkward Law Kneis which will make it much easier for me when I visit in the next few weeks.
g4obk
Munro compleatist

Re: Taming the Law Kneis Jungle

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:47 am

Love it, looks similar to the route we took up and we had a proper battle with everything, trees, snow debris etc etc.

I would recommend any future visitors stay on the track and approach the summit from the west and then the north, unless of course you want a proper challenge.

Here is my WR from Feb 2018 https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78328
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland