walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aviemore to Blair Atholl

Aviemore to Blair Atholl

Postby beech » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Date walked: 29/03/2018

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I went for a walk through ancient rights of way - lairig ghru and glen tilt and took two detours - once over Braeriach onto Moine Mhor and then again just after the Falls of Tarf joining Glen Loch. This involved a fun river crossing.

DSCF7283_690.JPG

I explored Rothiemurchas Forest as a day trip. It's big!

Up on Moine Mhor, camping seemed a nice option because there was no wind. There was also no visible sign of running water, but I found some eventually. The following day made me regret not bringing sunglasses and factor 50 suncream with bright sun.

DSCF7442_690.JPG

Resting at Monadh Mor

DSCF7531_690.JPG

Beyond Bynack lodge

Glen Loch was great. Sheltered with a feeling of wilderness because there's no footpath until the loch. Plenty of sheep have made paths though and I followed those.
beech
Scrambler

Re: Aviemore to Blair Atholl

Postby beech » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm

It was a fun walk that lasted a few days. I was pleased I took my ice axe and crampons for the high level stuff though they did add weight.
beech
Scrambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland