walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

They're Ochilly versatile

They're Ochilly versatile

Postby SpamFritter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Date walked: 08/04/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 848m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Took a little run out to the Ochills on Sunday. The forecast was set to be a bit overcast and cloudy, so I didn't fancy tackling any high tops. I'd seen Big/Little Torry and Craig Leith from the main road, and they always looks impenetrable. However, the Cicerone guide included them in a walk involving Bengengie Hill so decided to go for it.

I parked up at Alva Glen, and set of up the well-made path. I'd forgotten how much of a popular walk this was and the Glen was quite busy. It's really pretty up there, with waterfalls flowing through the precipitous gorge.

Past the zig-zags, I struck out onto the path going along the side of Little Torry and began the climb. It was fairly hard going and steep, and I used a few sheep trails on the way up. I think you can ascend via a gully between Big and Little Torry but I stuck mainly to the shoulder of Little Torry. I was quite glad to hit the summit, and continue on to Big Torry.

From here, it was an easy broad ridge, following a clear ATV track to Bengengie Hill. Bengengie Hill actually turned out to be an interesting little summit, comprising of a tor, with craggy outcrops. There are actually a few spots to practice your scrambling - almost unheard of for the Ochils! I sat for a good half an hour eating my lunch and enjoying the peace. There was hardly any wind - a Brucie bonus at the moment anyway!

From Bengengie, it was a short, sharp bum-sliding descent down to a sheep pen, where you can pick up a good landrover track along the side of Craighorn, back to the south face of the Nebit. From here, a faint path at the zig-zag tracks will take you back to Alva Glen.

One of the things I really like about going a bit off-piste at the Ochils is the solitude and peace. Outwith Alva Glen, I didn't see another soul all day. I think this might just be my new favourite Ochils walk.
Attachments
IMG_20180408_140230.jpg
IMG_20180408_140554.jpg
IMG_20180408_140116.jpg
IMG_20180408_135020.jpg
IMG_20180408_122317.jpg
IMG_20180408_114123.jpg

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

SpamFritter
Ambler

Munros:59   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   Islands:34

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland