walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh

Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby thomasp67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:29 am

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 21/03/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Climbed on 19th March 2009

The first notion I had to climb these hills was on a scouting trip through to Glencoe a few months earlier. I was in awe of the huge conical frame of Beinn Dorain that appeared before me just a couple of miles north of Tyndrum (and they say that straight lines don't appear in nature).

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_01.jpg
Beinn Dorain

Along with my partner in climb, Scotia_1980 (sorry about the pun mate), on a particularly fine March day when visibility was reasonably good, the sun was shining and the temperature was definitely spring-like, we left Bridge of Orchy hotel car park just before 12 and headed for the underpass at the train station.

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_02.jpg
Coire An Dothaidh

We had decided to take the most popular and obvious route and headed for the Coire an Dothaidh. A fairly well defined path heads straight for the corrie between the two hills but even without any major rainfall over the past few days the walk was quite boggy. The path runs along side a burn for most of the way and having trudged through mud quite a few times the decision not to wear gaiters was proved to be a bad one.

The corrie itself was quite beautiful in the afternoon sun, with the imposing shadowy cliffs on Beinn Dorain to your right and the steep slopes of Beinn an Dothaidh with its 300 foot waterfall to the left.

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_03.jpg
Beinn Dorain Shadowy Cliffs

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_04.jpg
Beinn An Dothaidh Waterfall

The path steepens quite a bit from around 550-600m up to the bealach at the top of the corrie which is marked by a cairn at 744m. If you plan to scale both Munros then you have to decide which way to go, left to Beinn an Dothaidh or right to Beinn Dorain.

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_05.jpg
Bealach

From the bealach we headed due north to the cairn that marks the western summit and then east to the central summit which is the highest, below the vast wasteland of Rannoch Moor stretches off into the distance towards the Mamores and the Grey Corries. Beinn an Dothaidh is a hill made up of 3 summits, but as the wind was quite brisk to say the least and with no cover to stop for a well earned rest, we took a few snaps and decided to make the descent without going for the third summit. With a lot of snow still lying this high up the descent back to the bealach was made tricky with all the lateral water but once the wind dropped we decided to stop for our packed lunch.

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_06.jpg
Central Beinn An Dothaidh Cairn

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_07.jpg
Ranoch Moor

Feeling full of energy we headed straight through the bog back to the bealach and then upwards towards the north face of Beinn Dorain. The north face still had quite a lot of snow which we took great care to avoid as it was still a few feet thick in some places. After another 45 minutes of climbing we could see a cairn in the distance and I took great pleasure in letting Scot think that this was the top (even though I knew it wasn't) but once we reached it we could see the true summit was not too far away.

The wind had dropped quite considerably and we stayed for a good 30 minutes and took in the views. There was quite a bit of haze in the air but the outlines of many great hills can be seen in the distance:-

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_08.jpg
South East down Glen Corlan towards Ben More, Stob Binnien and the Crainlarach hills

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_09.jpg
South West to Ben Lui and Ben Oss

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_10.jpg
North to the Black Mount and Ben Nevis in the distance

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_11.jpg
Loch Awe In Awe

beinn_dorain_and_beinn_an_dothaidh_12.jpg
Looking Down on Creation

Once we had had our fill of scenery, all that was left to do was to retrace our steps back to the bealach and down through the corrie. We hadn't pushed the pace at any time and we were in the Bridge of Orchy hotel before 6pm for a well deserved pint. The journey had took just under 6 hours.

We passed about 8 people on Beinn an Dothaidh but only 1 on Beinn Dorain, maybe they had climbed Beinn Dorain first but when you get to the baelach I would certainly recommend heading for Beinn an Dothaidh first and leave Beinn Dorain till last as its a much more impressive summit.
thomasp67

Munros:82   Corbetts:16
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Great photos and a cracking first report there thomasp67. The views over Rannoch Moor from Beinn an Dothaidh are stunnning, aren't they? I'm amazed that there is so little snow really, not so long ago it was all down to low levels; this winter has been weird.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Wanderlust » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:06 pm

This is a great walk on a fine day. I was up there in February, had a magnificent day out - here are some of my pics

on the way up to Beinn Dorain

Beinn Dorain summit ridge

me on Beinn Dorain summit

Cornice on Beinn an Dotaidh west top

Beinn Dorain from Beinn an Dotaidh

Beinn Achladair from Beinn an Dotaidh

me on Beinn an Dotaidh summit

Coire an Dotaidh
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby Wanderlust » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:14 pm

the snow certainly seems to have melted quickly, has there been no significant snowfall there since I was there in early February?
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland