walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn-Mon-Earn, Durris Forrest

Cairn-Mon-Earn, Durris Forrest

Postby J4MRU » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Route description: Cairn-mon-earn, Durris Forest

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn

Date walked: 15/04/2018

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 7.2 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I knew it was going to be a reasonable day by checking the forecast during the week and I had initially planned on doing Clachnaben, but my family had decided to tag along for this one so we decided to try something smaller and decided that a forest walk would be better. Cairn-Mon-Earn was on my to-do list anyway as it is close and looked like decent practice for me in doing more walking this year. We got a really nice day and although it was a bit misty higher up, it was nice and sunny.

IMG_0931.JPG
What is this??? It's been a while!!

IMG_0977.JPG
Some of the family.

Cairn-Mon-Earn is a lovely walk through a wooded area with exposed views when you reach the top.

This hill is deceiving and although it's not bad, it is certainly no slouch and is quite long and quite steep in areas especially for the unfit (me) and there are some parts around 2/3 of the way up that is quite eroded - this did not help me as I got lumbered with the buggy (my sisters baby) on the way up! I wasn't complaining as I need the exercise, but it wasn't easy with the state of the path in places.

Even on a slightly misty day, there are brilliant views! It was a nice day, just a little misty.

IMG_0975.JPG
I think this is the view towards Mundernal (324m) but not from the summit.

IMG_0976.JPG
View from Summit

IMG_0978.JPG
Another view from summit.

There are no dog bins but there was dog bags (full) left lying at the gates and some even discarded around the trail. I am not sure if this is something you do when you have dogs or not but I found it a bit odd bagging the poop and leaving it bagged for people to walk by at the entrance gate.

There is a small parking area which was empty upon arrival at 11.30am, but was full when we returned to the car. It was slightly boggy but no issues with ingress or egress.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland