walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Speyside Way - When does it become a family tradition?

The Speyside Way - When does it become a family tradition?

Postby J4MRU » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Route description: Speyside Way 3: Craigellachie to Ballindalloch

Date walked: 07/04/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 23 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the last three years we have visited Cragganmore to do this section of The Speyside Way and stayed in a lovely B&B for the weekend. When is this considered a family tradition??

On the Friday we tend to get together and just relax with a few drinks and a nice three course meal at the B&B. The chef (and owner) has awards for his food and I can see why....cracking! This time we went for a distillery tour next door at the Cragganmore Distillery.

IMG_0862.JPG
Smoked Haddock, King Scallops and Leaf Spinach

IMG_0806.JPG
Cragganmore Distillery

Saturday Morning we fuel up for the walk and jump in the cars and drive to Craigellachie where we start the trek back to Cragganmore (Ballindalloch station).

craigellachie-ballindalloch.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The start of the walk is always quite fast paced and I tend to motor on until the arrival at Aberlour. I love this wee town, and have no idea why but I do! Not long after Aberlour we stop off JUST before Daluaine Halt and sit on the bridge for a cuppa coffee or a wee snack.

IMG_0826.jpg
One of 3 or 4 churches in Aberlour.

The next place of note is Carron. The bridge of Carron is always a good place to stop for a photo and to have look over the bridge as its fairly high and there are stunning views onto the Hill of Carron that towers over this section of the River Spey. Carron is also the location of, in my opinion, the best looking distillery on this section of the The Speyside Way... I have not done other sections yet though. The Dalmunach Distillery is not open to visitors but from the road you can see the entrance below, the Hill of Carron behind it AND you can see the copper stills through the glass front of the main building.

IMG_0828.jpg
View from The Bridge of Carron towards Hill of Carron.

IMG_0848.JPG
The best looking distillery round these parts.

IMG_3502.JPG
My wife and I - She looks more presentable, as usual.

Further along from Carron is where we normally stop for a spot of lunch, but this time we stopped for a little longer because the weather was nice, so we chilled out there for a bit at a park bench with a nice view over the river. It is located between Dalmunach (the place) and Millhaugh. This place is a bit of a novelty as there is an old car located in the stream behind the bench where you can scramble down to it and also go under the bridge down to the river front. Does anyone know the story behind this car? We always try and guess what kind of car it is but no-one is ever certain!

Again, a bit further along there are more distilleries and the chance to take in a small but steep spur. The spur, we didn't do this year, but last year we had a walk up the road (I was knackered getting there however!) to a wool mill/café type place. You can get a fine piece (or a cake to most of you) and a chance to relax in the gardens.

From this point, and it may be fatigue setting in, but I tend to find it a tad boring. From Blacksboat until you reach the bridge that spans over the Spey before Ballindalloch is a little mundane. Don't get me wrong, I still think the area is exceptionally pretty and there is lots to look at, but it's just not as appealing as the front part of our walk. Maybe doing it 'backwards' one year would be a better idea. Once you reach the bridge and the Cragganmore sign - you know it's nearly time to relax with a bevarage and enjoy another terrific meal at the B&B.

840acb3d-ab0c-480e-ae07-a0029112e727.JPG
Cragganmore - Old Granary Halt at Ballindalloch.

IMG_0838.jpg
The Cragganmore Bridge

Sunday, some of our party do the Glenlivet 10k. To me, this is crazy after a massive walk like this but maybe I'm jealous that I can't do it...Next year, I will do it... Or maybe not!

Some more photo's of the weekend.

IMG_0835.jpg
This is the control tower at Tamdu halt.

IMG_3513.JPG
Glenlivet Distillery

IMG_3469.JPG
Dailuaine Halt

IMG_3581.JPG
Blacksboat Halt

IMG_0863.JPG
Fillet Steak - yummers.

IMG_0864.JPG
Lemon Soufflé.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland