walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sron nam Boc

Sron nam Boc

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am

Date walked: 14/04/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my plan B walk for the day, implemented because the low cloud was a tad too low for plan A or, more precisely, because I like to get a view. Even on this relatively low level walk though views were at a premium with the cloud skirting about the slightly higher clifftops further west.
The first kilometre is on a track that leads to some ruins after which there is a good path to follow as well as good views over Carsaig. A curious pen with a rusted iron post bearing a stag weather vane at its top is passed en route to the clifftop proper. No idea what that is all about.
Plenty of evidence of bracken along the clifftops so I dare say less of an easy stroll in summer but with it died back from winter the walking was very pleasant and easy going.
The views, in spite of or maybe even because of the mist, were fairly jaw-dropping. All along the way to Nuns' Pass there were gullies and crags providing ever-changing propects east and west and, more hazily, south.
Got to the top of Nuns' Pass without really registering that folk (indeed, nuns!) possibly used this as an access route to and from Nuns' Cave. Some route; looks pretty steep and exposed.
Thought about continuing further west but there having been no shift in the cloud level or even a slight lowering I found it easy to head back. Didn't even cross my mind to try Nuns' Pass as a return route!

ImageDSC06447 by John Little, on Flickr
Fine views over the coast almost straight away, despite the start being a kilometre inland.

ImageDSC06457 by John Little, on Flickr
A curious pen with a rusted stag weather vane above.

ImageDSC06466 by John Little, on Flickr
I am on spousal orders to smile more.

ImageDSC06500 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06504 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06511 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06520 by John Little, on Flickr
Into the gloom a bit further west. This actually made the cliffs ahead look quite grand, the way they loomed out of the mirk.
Waited here a bit for things to hopefully clear.

ImageDSC06538 by John Little, on Flickr
Nuns' Pass is in the middle distance and in front of the lowest clifftop here.

ImageDSC06539 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06553 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06578 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06612 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06696 by John Little, on Flickr
Crumbly looking overhangs -not a place to get too close to the edge.

ImageDSC06702 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06704 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06716 by John Little, on Flickr
What had been in the mist earlier on now a bit clearer.

ImageDSC06718 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06726 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06751 by John Little, on Flickr
Back above Carsaig Bay, apparently the site of much seafaring activity in the past.

ImageDSC06767 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC06800 by John Little, on Flickr
Took a slightly different descent route, just above the tree line and fence. Probably better to stick to the track which this path eventually rejoins in any case.

ImageDSC06803 by John Little, on Flickr
Mull is tranquil.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland