walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craignure Meet Part 1 - Magnetic Meanderings

Craignure Meet Part 1 - Magnetic Meanderings

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:16 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Buie, Creach Beinn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Càrn Ban (Mull)

Date walked: 14/04/2018

Time taken: 8.6 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1690m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Ben Buie, Creach Beinn.
Sub 2k Marilyns: Carn Ban.
Date: 13 + 14/04/2018.
Distance: 7km + 12.5km.
Ascent: 300m + 1390m.
Time: 7 hours + 1 hour, 40 minutes.
Weather: Calm and claggy on Friday, warmer and sunnier on Saturday with the cloud down on the summits.
Also 7.5 miles of cycling on Friday.

Finally the Craignure meet, which I've been looking forward to for about 8 months. The weather didn't look overly promising, but I was glad to be heading to the west coast and some islands - I've had too little of this recently.

I decided to bring my bike along, and took the train up from Sunderland, which filled most of my day. It should have been relaxing, but the first part wasn't as my train into Edinburgh became later and later, leaving me with about 2 minutes to dash with my bike between the two farthest corners of Waverly Station. Thankfully I made my next train with seconds to spare, and there was no more drama after that other than the great scenery on the West Highland Line.

Approaching Arrochar on the train

The weather at Oban wasn't brilliant, but I didn't mind - I was on a ferry to the islands again for the first time in over a year 8) .

Leaving Oban

South end of Lismore from the ferry

The weather was still better than on the east coast, so after checking into the bunkhouse, I set off on my bike to the nearby Marilyn of Carn Ban. It took less than 20 minutes to reach the point where I left the road, and less than 30 seconds to realise that the track I was on wasn't really cycleable.

Carn Ban.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

At the foot of Carn Ban

Still, it made for an easy walk. I could spot a couple of figures in the distance - unsurprisingly it was Hils and Mark (MKG) :) . After a quick chat, I carried on until it was time to leave the track and cross rougher ground to the summit. The cloud lifted temptingly in a couple of places, but it wasn't for clearing away.

Cruach Ardura and Loch Spelve

Cruach Ardura and Loch Spelve

Shame really, as it became obvious from what I could see that this would be a brilliant viewpoint in better conditions. At least the ground wasn't too bad underfoot (although I might have only thought this due to the amount of peat hags I have walked through in the last few months :lol: ).

Across Loch Spelve from Carn Ban

I dropped back down a route which brought me to the track quicker at the ruins of Killean, then met my outward route to the bike. A couple of geese were circling me as I approached my bike. Not an especially glamorous start to the meet, but nice to get out on the hill after a day sat on the train.

Then it was dinner and the pub (conveniently right next door), where it was great to meet up with familiar faces again.

Despite being tempted by a boat trip to the Treshnish Isles with Hils, Billy and Robin on Saturday, I decided to save that for a future visit and go up some hills, since the weather was supposed to be half-decent. Ben More and A' Chioch or Ben Buie and Creach Beinn were my top choices, but given that the cloud wasn't necessarily going to lift too far, I opted for the lower duo. Having been up these hills before on a promising but slightly disappointing day, I hoped to get another crack at seeing something from them.

Ben Buie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Quite a few of us opted for these hills from Lochbuie, so we ended up with two carloads and two groups going round in opposite directions. David (Rounsfell) drove me, Mark and Des (NeillyDunn) round the winding road, and we started walking at around 9:40. The cloud was down on the summits, but I hoped it would lift by the time we got up there.

Gleann a’ Chaiginn Mhoire from Lochbuie

Heading up Ben Buie

Did it lift? Did it hell! In fact the conditions were pretty much identical to my last visit. At least finding our way up the slithery gullies and loose rock to the summit was easier than coming down it had been before.

Having taken our eye off the ball, we needed to take a bearing to get off the summit. While I have mostly learned to trust a bearing even when it seems wrong, the one Mark took seemed really wrong. So Des and I got our compasses out too, and they both said something completely different! I knew there was some gabbro in these hills and suspected they were a bit magnetic, but was quite surprised to see how much!

So long as we all kept checking bearings (and Des gave us a co-ordinate from his GPS) we were OK; any complacency and we started drifting off to the western slopes. This happened a couple of times while crossing over to the northern top of Cnap nan Gobhar.

David, Mark and Des on the way down Ben Buie

Eventually we found the right side of the hill, and after a short section of scrabbly rock, we hit some pretty good ground leading us into Coire nan Each and out of the cloud. Some lovely gabbro slabs around here and a nice wild feel to the ground.

Loch Airde Ghlais

After a break in the glen, Des put his ridiculously luminous hat on and announced that he was going to follow the glen back to the car, and leave the remaining 3 of us to the second summit. We could spot him bobbing along for about the next 45 minutes :lol: .

It is steep going up the side of a gully onto Creach Beinn, and before long, we were back in the cloud. A second steep section brought us nicely to the trig point - no views again :roll: .

Ascending Creach Beinn (MKG’s photo)

Mark, me and David on the summit of Creach Beinn (MKG’s photo)

We broke out of the cloud sooner on the way down, and things really started to brighten up. I lost the other two as I meandered eastwards looking for the best view.

On Creach Beinn

The ridge back down to Lochbuie was lovely - easily the best bit of the day. The sun was now out and there were numerous rocky slabs to stroll across. This pretty much made up for the lack of views earlier, even if it was slightly too hazy to see down to the Paps of Jura.

Loch Spelve

Across Loch Uisg to Maol Ban

Looking back to Creach Beinn

Loch Buie from Creach Beinn

Looking back to Creach Beinn

Loch Airde Ghlais

Loch Uisg and the Laggan Peninsula

Ben Buie

I stumbled over Mark and David again close to the bottom of the hill, and we strolled the last section back to the car together.

Lochan below Creach Beinn (MKG’s photo)

Loch Buie and the Ross of Mull

Ben Buie from Gleann a’ Chaiginn Mhoire

It had briefly occurred to us that we hadn't passed the other group heading in the opposite direction. This didn't entirely surprise me as the ground was so rough and intricate that we could easily have taken different enough routes to completely pass each other by. Turned out that Ailsa and Mairi had walked out after the first summit anyway, and it took Greg and Ruth quite a time to descend off Ben Buie (I remember having similar problems myself). We had definitely picked the right way round to go in order to avoid awkward descents!

View from Craignure Bunkhouse

Anyway - beer time! Although whisky was opened later on, we somehow managed to avoid finding the bottom of any bottles, which was a relief the next day :) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Craignure Meet Part 1 - Magnetic Meanderings

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:50 am

Nice one Malky. Ben Buie is one of my favourite hills. You need to get back there again on a blue sky day. The seascape is fantastic. Nice coastal walk along past Moy Castle too. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Andymac75 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Nice.
Ben Buie is a great hill.
I must climb it.definately going to plan a trip :)
Thanks for your Meanderings
Andymac75

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:02 am

Good to see that on the Saturday you got at least some decent weather. My experience of this isle is clag down to sea level :( .

The tale of magnetic vagaries is sobering. I know of the Cuillins of course, but I didn't realise that there were other other places that suffered as badly.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland