walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Druim na h-Earba not many quicker Sub 2000 hills

Druim na h-Earba not many quicker Sub 2000 hills

Postby desmondo1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Druim na h-Earba

Date walked: 20/04/2018

Time taken: 0.44 hours

Distance: 3.13 km

Ascent: 142m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After my disappointment with the weather on South Uist I had a stop over in Fort William so decided to do a quick hill after breakfast before heading home.
The long named Druim na h-Earba (288m) belies its name status with one of the easiest Sub 2000 hills to walk.
Fence.jpg

Head for the gate at the fence
When I looked last night the forecast was for good conditions but when I pulled the curtains rain was falling. A seagull did the business over me last week but I thought this was meant to be good luck but Uist and today suggest otherwise.
However after a full breakfast I went up to the starting point, thankfully my luck had changed.
If I was in FW for longer I would have walked up from sea level but as I was heading home I lazily took the car up. The starting point up the old military road starts you at 501 ft above sea level leaving not a lot left to ascend.
muddy track.jpg

Muddy rather than boggy track
The last time I was here there were lots of coos around and the good lady did not fancy walking through them. But today none in sight.
The walk is as straightforward as they come. From the viewing point car park go through the gate and follow the track until you run out of hill. The track is soft and muddy but easy to go to the sides, when the coos are around it might be a lot more trodden and gloopy.
Trig ahead on right.jpg

Summit trig on right
It is a well used hill by the track so just follow it. A few false summits and 19 minutes later I was at the trig point.
The real summit is slightly to your left as you approach the trig, only 1 metre according to my GPS.
Loch Lhinnie.jpg

Loch Lhinnie looking south
Despite the grey day, with low clouds covering most hills, the views were well worth the short effort, particularly of Loch Lhinnie and Fort William.
20180419_094856.jpg

Fort William & Cow Hill
On a good day they would certainly could be an awful lot better.
Looking north.jpg

Looking west to Meall an t-Slamain
Needless to say the Ben was cloud covered.
Ness Glen.jpg

Glen Nevis
So for a modest time outlay if you are in the area go for it.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland