walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape Law via Hart Fell

Cape Law via Hart Fell

Postby iainR » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Cape Law, Hart Fell

Date walked: 21/04/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 18.89 km

Ascent: 783m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hart Fell is a hill which i've climbed many times over the years but only on a couple of occasions have i explored other ridges leading off the summit. Today my target hill was Cape Law which is situated on a ridge to the northeast of Hart Fell. A couple of reasons made me choose Cape Law the main one being it was a chance to add another Donald to my list and the fact that WH described the hill as unremarkable and little visited, perfect for me !
Annan Water Hall 2018__.jpg
Annan Water Hall

Auchencat Burn 2018__.jpg
The starting point

As usual i began the ascent of Hart Fell from the Annan Water Hall near Ericstane partially following the Hartfell Spa route then veering off up the grassy path to the southwest shoulder of the hill. The path is initially steep but gradually gets better as the views begin to open up. Once the fence line is reached at the top of the ridge the summit is a short distance from here.
Toward annan water head__.jpg
Looking back down the ridge

Summit of Hart Fell__.jpg
Summit of Hart Fell

From the summit cairn i headed northeast following another fence line down to the col between Hart Fell and Stirk Craig. With a drop of 200m the terrain here was quite boggy with a mass of peat hags which had to be negotiated but once the higher ground was gained the going was much drier and i soon reached the fence junction at Stirk Craig where i followed the fence line north quickly reaching the summit of Cape Law.
Towards Cape Law__.jpg
Towards Stirk Craig

Summit area of Cape Law__.jpg
Summit area of Cape Law

The views from this unremarkable and little visited Donald were great with Fruid Reservoir and Gameshope Loch to the north and White Coomb with surrounding hills to the east.
Din Law and Fruid Reservoir from Cape Law__.jpg
Din Law and Fruid Reservoir

Gameshope Loch from Cape Law__.jpg
Gameshope Loch

With no practical route which would form a loop back to the start i had to retrace my steps back up Hart Fell which wasn't ideal but given the superb weather and the views my excursion to Cape Law was worth it.
Back to Hart Fell__.jpg
View back to Hart Fell
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland