walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First hill for new dog and three cheers for rescue!

First hill for new dog and three cheers for rescue!

Postby dogplodder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Route description: Phoineas Hill, near Beauly

Date walked: 12/04/2018

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I may be about to walk the West Highland Way in support of my pal fund-raising for Mountain Rescue but this time I don't mean that kind of rescue.

Almost a year after losing black lab Tess, another black lab girl has come to stay. We adopted her from Labrador Rescue Scotland and have called her Callie which from Greek means 'beautiful one', in Hebrew alludes to 'dog' and in Gaelic 'of the forest' - so an apt name for her and nothing to do with a certain football team!

Since the mongrel terrier puppy I got for Christmas when I was 8 (that dog was a legend) she's my seventh dog. A few months after our first son was born we bought a collie cross labrador puppy which turned into the most patient family dog you could wish for. That probably started our love affair with labs and after losing Ben at 14 we saw an ad in the local paper saying "Free to good home, 4 month old yellow labrador" and couldn't resist! He was being left all day and was chewing the table legs. Well what do you expect with a puppy left alone? After a few initial challenges Sam turned into a great dog and when a few weeks after losing him we were asked if we'd be interested in taking on a young labrador needing a home, we said yes.

Danny was a lively dog from the working side and a good companion on the hills, cut short too soon by cancer when he was only 4. We were devastated to lose him so young and turned to Labrador Rescue, which is how we found 9 month old Jack, who is still with us today, followed 7 months later by Tess. So that makes Callie the fifth labrador we have rehomed, twice privately and three times through Labrador Rescue. Now we wouldn't do it any other way. There are so many good dogs needing new homes through no fault of their own and Labrador Rescue Scotland (LRRSS) does a great job of matching the right dog to the right people. :thumbup:

Callie is 3 years old, good natured, energetic, exhuberant... but has had little experience of the outside world or of walking on lead. We've had her for two weeks and training is a work in progress! She responded quickly to her new name and recalling to the whistle - but anyone who's owned a lab will know they are quick learners where food is involved. She's so exhilerated by all the smells of the great outdoors that reliable lead walking may take a bit longer. :think:

Jack and Callie the day we picked her up
IMG_20180407_122402804-large.jpg

After a few days practising recall near to home I decided to try her on her first mini hill. So with two of the grandsons along for support we headed for Belladrum where the annual Tartan Heart music festival is held. We tucked the car close in at the side of a wide entrance opposite a couple of houses on the right and headed up the forest track.

Are you coming?
IMG_5378-large.JPG

Just looking at this fungus
IMG_5380-large.JPG

Must be old age makes you start looking at stuff like that :shh:
IMG_5382-largec.JPG

View back down track
IMG_5383-largec.JPG

I chose this walk because it's off road from the start (so didn't risk a dislocated shoulder with excited dog on lead) and it's away from livestock. The wide track meant I could easily keep an eye on her and it was reassurring she didn't go off track following animal scents which Jack did when we first had him! Once she knew I had dog food in my pocket she recalled to the whistle every time - even when distracted by interesting smells. :wink:

Practising recall
IMG_5384-largec.JPG

There were views over Strathglass through gaps in the trees but it was too hazy for decent photos. When we reached a wide part of the track at a junction we kept to the left, climbing a little then more level. At the next junction we kept left again and then spotted something perched on a rocky outcrop to our right.

There's something on top of that outcrop
IMG_5386-largec.JPG

We went off the track over lumpy ground to get a closer look.

IMG_5387-largec.JPG

Volunteers went to investigate - choosing the scrambly route
IMG_5392-large.JPG

Hand signal semaphore? :wave:
IMG_5394-large.JPG

The door was locked but my special agents could see through a gap and reported a chair inside and other items that would be useful if spending any time there. Is this for fire watching, wildlife watching, shooting, a rest place for foresters - or something else? Someone on here will know. :?:

IMG_5388-largec.JPG

Hazy zoomed view to what I think is Kiltarlity
IMG_5390-large.JPG

Scattered houses on hillside above Beauly
IMG_5391-largec.JPG

Back on the track we continued towards Phoineas Hill, which was somewhere in the trees ahead. Callie had originally followed the boys on to the outcrop but when she saw I wasn't coming, hurtled back to join me, which after having her only a few days was a good sign. I was also encouraged by the way she kept her eye on me - but maybe that was down to the food in my pocket! 8)

Checking I'm coming
IMG_5396-largec.JPG

A bit further on there was another left turn which led downhill and felt wrong as we were supposed to be climbing a hill which normally involves going up. The directions said to turn right at the next junction, which we did, and it was the 15 year old grandson who said this didn't feel right. He was quite right, the correct turn to the right was a bit further on.

This was not the correct turning as we soon discovered
IMG_5400-largec.JPG

This is the right one
IMG_5401-largec.JPG

Evidence of recent felling
IMG_5402-large.JPG

The track led up to the mobile phone mast on the top of Phoineas Hill. We went round the mast to reach a more pleasant summit area with rocks to climb on if you're young, or sit on if you're old like me.

Phoineas Hill summit 180m
IMG_5405-large.JPG

Dog did well
IMG_5404-large.JPG

Waiting for her reward
IMG_5409c.JPG

Well done boys and well done Callie! :clap:
IMG_5406-large.JPG

Through gaps in the trees there were views of Ben Wyvis and parts of the River Beauly but again it was too hazy for good photos. Since there was no path we didn't bother going to the iron age fort on the lower summit to the northeast. We retraced our steps to the junction with the main track and turned right to complete the circuit back to the car. The track meanders downhill through an area of forestry which has recently been cleared and we saw another wooden construction, this time up a ladder, reminding me of the tiny riverside houses we saw in Thailand.

Another wee hoose
IMG_5411-large.JPG

West to snow-covered Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard and eastern Strathfarrars
IMG_5412-large.JPG

A left turn at the foot of the forestry section led us to an interesting stone built cottage.

Tigh Romach, former estate cottage - now a holiday let
IMG_5415-large.JPG

This took us back on to the road so Callie went on the lead and having run off her most of her energy she walked beside us not too badly. After the commercial conifer plantation it was good to walk along a road lined by mature deciduous trees. My sister in law from Shropshire complains that apart from planted swathes of conifers we have a lack of trees in the Highlands so I instinctively photograph any I come across. :-P

IMG_5416-largec.JPG

My verdict on Callie's first hill? She did well with only one minor flaw - jumping up and covering me with mud, ensuring my clothes would have to go straight in the wash when I got back! She has the makings of a great hill dog and a worthy successor to Jack and Tess; so a big thank you to Carolyne of LRRSS for matching us to such a lovely dog. She was worth waiting for. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: First hill for new dog and three cheers for rescue!

Postby KatTai » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Aw so pleased to see you have a new canine companion! Callie is gorgeous and has really landed on her paws :clap:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:55   
Islands:32

Postby Tom Rollo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:35 pm

My guess is that these structures are shooting hides, where people wait for a deer to come into view from out of the trees. Very common in Europe and will probably be let out to Europeans coming over to shoot a Scottish deer.
Tom Rollo
Stravaiging

Munros:88   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:27   

Postby tweedledog » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 am

Great to see the new dog. She looks splendid. May she walk long.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 pm

KatTai wrote:Aw so pleased to see you have a new canine companion! Callie is gorgeous and has really landed on her paws :clap:

Thanks KatTai, we're delighted with her - even if she does pull like a train behind schedule! :D
dogplodder

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 am

Oh, what a cute fur face :D May she bring a lot of joy into the family!

I must admit I haven't been to Phoeinas Hill for a couple of years. I used to cycle from Beauly, leave the bike by the gate and run a round through the woods. Sometimes I picked chanterelles for mushroom soup... But since the tree-felling, I simply can't bring myself to visit again. It looks so sad without the forest :(

The wooden "houses" might be for bird-watching perhaps? I saw similar constructions in the woods near Slochd summit, in capercaillie reserve.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:29 pm

She's a beautiful looking girl. I hope you enjoy many happy hill days with her! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Tom Rollo wrote:My guess is that these structures are shooting hides, where people wait for a deer to come into view from out of the trees. Very common in Europe and will probably be let out to Europeans coming over to shoot a Scottish deer.

Sadly I think you're right. :?
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 08, 2018 8:50 pm

tweedledog wrote:Great to see the new dog. She looks splendid. May she walk long.

Last week she walked a third of WHW so has made a good start! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 08, 2018 9:00 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Oh, what a cute fur face :D May she bring a lot of joy into the family!

I must admit I haven't been to Phoeinas Hill for a couple of years. I used to cycle from Beauly, leave the bike by the gate and run a round through the woods. Sometimes I picked chanterelles for mushroom soup... But since the tree-felling, I simply can't bring myself to visit again. It looks so sad without the forest :(

The wooden "houses" might be for bird-watching perhaps? I saw similar constructions in the woods near Slochd summit, in capercaillie reserve.

I thought you and your mushrooms when I was there! It would be nice to think the hides are for bird-watching but I think they're more likely for the use of folk prepared to pay a price for the privilege of shooting deer for sport without exerting themselves too much! :think:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Graeme D wrote:She's a beautiful looking girl. I hope you enjoy many happy hill days with her! :D

Thanks Graeme. 8)
dogplodder

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 pm

oh what a gorgeous labradog face!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue May 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Great to see Callie starting her new career, she looks a bonnie dog. (And I don't believe for a moment that her name has nothing to do with a certain football team :lol: :lol: )
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland