walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ime from Butterbridge

Ben Ime from Butterbridge

Postby frsrgrdn2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:09 pm

Date walked: 14/04/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 910m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Ime from Butterbridge. 14/4/18

Parked at the Butterbridge car park, had a quick look at the old bridge. I had been up the Cobbler and Ben Narnain the week before so i knew weather wise what to expect near the summit. I had decided to go up Ben Ime a different route as it's a busy busy path from Loch Long. From Butterbridge i followed the small river (see map) right up to the source of the river, a moor located on the same level as the saddle between Narnain and the Cobbler.

The snow fields began about 550 metres just below the moor. It was then i decided not try an ascent from the moor but to walk round to the path from Loch Long. It was too dangerous to ascend the last 300 metres without some kind of backup. So i slogged around the moor to the path and joined 'the masses' ascending to the top.

The snow was continuous from 700 m upwards, this is a steep part, the path was not visible, just followed the footsteps. My micro spikes and ice axe came in very handy. Near the top the path became visible and its a nice ridge walk to the summit. i was happy i had made it and it took a fair effort as its not an easy mountain from Butterbridge. Unfortunately no view at all from the top.

From there back down the way i came , very enjoyable bouncing down through the snowfields, great way to descend quickly, had to use ice axe once to arrest slide, glad i had practised the week before. Another basic Munro conquered by Munro Steel.

Brilliant walk highly recommend this route.

IMG_0994.JPG
Butterbridge
Attachments
IMG_1011.JPG
View from the Summit !!
IMG_1010.JPG
A rare view of the summit
IMG_1005.JPG
from river looking up to source of river
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
Ruined old Clan Stewart house where you start off
frsrgrdn2
Mountain Walker

Munros:83   Corbetts:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland