walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Largo Law - Finishing the Kingdom Subs

Largo Law - Finishing the Kingdom Subs

Postby inca » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am

Route description: Largo Law, from Upper Largo

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Largo Law

Date walked: 18/02/2018

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 222m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Map: OS 1:50,000, no. 59
Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog
Time taken: 1hr

I’d been shying away from Largo Law. Probably because information about access with dogs sounded so proscriptive. No access between March and November? Each year? Every year? Eh? I can’t imagine walking without my two these days, so I told myself it could wait. I’d add Largo to a longer hill day. Probably in the east, probably on the way home, and certainly in the 3 months the red card for dogs didn’t apply. That opportunity hadn’t presented itself.

Mid-February and the access window was closing again. I’d woken early on a Sunday morning with no particular plans. The weather forecast wasn’t great. But I opened the curtains to clearing night skies and a promising day. I’m not a natural carpe diem kind of guy. I surprised myself with a hasty decision to head for Largo. 15 minutes later, I’d printed the route, looked out my map, packed my gear, woken mrs inca to let her know my plans (that went well) and shoved two sleepy dogs into the car. Mine was the only vehicle on the Queensferry Crossing. Sunrise cast an amber glow on the Rail Bridge and the Forth looked mercury silver below. I was pleased with myself. I’d been rash, impulsive even. It wasn’t like me. I tooted my horn a few times to celebrate. There was a Devil May Care flourish to the last peep. It was silly. And satisfying at the same time.

The drive to Upper Largo was painless. I followed a fingerpost sign to the cemetery car park. The plug of Largo Law squatted behind, a well-worn path etched into its southern slope. It looked closer than I’d expected. I dithered for a few minutes. Should I take my rucksack or not? I knew it’d be a short walk. There seemed little point. On the other hand, I’d been trying to improve my hill fitness. I reasoned taking it would offer more of a workout.

Parking and start point
ImageUntitled by NDM, on Flickr

Information sign

Largo Law from farm track

Getting the dogs ready, I noticed a man approaching along the edge of a field beside the Chesterstone farm track. We passed each other and exchanged pleasantries. With no other vehicles in the car park, I assumed he was local. The reason he’d avoided that section of the track soon became obvious: it was a mudbath.

Taking the same detour he’d done, I rejoined the track a little further on. It passed a cottage where a man was barking orders at a horse. Directional signs led me on to the rear of Chesterstone Farm, and shortly afterward, the base of the hill. The farm itself struck me as remotely managed. The barns contained agricultural machinery, yet the only houses I could see looked to be holiday lets.

It was a steep, relatively short, climb to arrive at the southern top. One advantage of tackling the hill at the end of a harsh winter was that ground conditions were firm. Even on the eroded path. I did stop to catch my breath once or twice, but I didn’t encounter the same slip hazard I’d read about elsewhere.

Largo summit from south top

South top looking back towards Upper Largo and Largo Bay

I could see the trig point on the northern top and dropped down to the fence below it. I’d read desmondo1’s 2017 report on the hill so I was aware of:

a) the possibility of wooden stile being broken – it was; and
b) an electric fence – still in situ but covered with foam at stile.

The fence was low enough to be crossed easily and I was at the summit. Weather wise, the day hadn’t quite lived up to its early promise. Still, the views were decent enough. Particularly west towards the Lomond hills.

Looking east from Largo trig

West from Largo trig

Zoom towards East Lomond

There was a chill in the air that deterred hanging around and I retraced my steps to the car. I was cautious dropping down the path. The firmness of the ground had been an advantage on the way up. It was less so on the way down. It’d be a sore surface to take a tumble on. It was only when I was driving back to Edinburgh I remembered it – Largo Law was the last of my Fife Sub 2ks. Some I’d enjoyed very much. Others less so. Largo? A punchy little hill I’d rate somewhere in the middle.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland