walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Starav the slow way

Starav the slow way

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 27/04/2018

Time taken: 11.25 hours

Distance: 22.6 km

Ascent: 2104m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We drove up to the end of the road in Glen Etive on Thursday night. I've never camped in Glen Etive before and probably won't again...for a wet and very windy Thursday evening there were 2 other tents and at least 4 campervans in the car park at the road's end. Hate to think how busy it would be at a weekend when it was sunny. 2 girls had a pop up tent, which looked to be on its first outing. They also - somewhat impressively in the conditions - managed to get a fire going. I ended up putting extra pegs in as there was such a wind coming off the loch. Their tent was gone when we got up in the morning - either they were early risers or had blown away like Dorothy...

staravz.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We drove back to the parking spot at Coiletir where there was already a couple of vehicles and prepared to set off up Starav, mainly to get the two Tops Allison requires. I felt really tired and washed out, like I hadn't been wound up and the boggy start to the journey further defused any energy I had left. We couldn't get across the river on stepping stones as it was too full and fast, so had to backtrack to the bridge. It was a very slow climb up the shoulder of Starav indeed. I had climbed the mountain 3 times before and on two occasions gone round the five Munros in around 11 hours - well it was to be much slower today.

ImageDSC01392 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC01394 by Al, on Flickr

The day was overcast, mist revealing then hiding the mountain tops. Still a fair bit of snow around higher up, new stuff as well. We reached the summit of Starav after three and a half hours - torture :lol: As we started off for Meall Cruidh it began to snow, heavily too. Allison remarked that I had developed a nice cornice on my shoulder :lol: By the time we had reached the second Top of Stob an Duine Ruaidh the snow had stopped and it was pleasantly sunny - how it remained for the rest of the day. Last time round I'd come off the western ridge back towards the lochside, but this hadn't been particularly pleasurable (crags and bog) so we'd decided to press on to Glas Bheinn Mhor. Trouble was the not inconsiderable re-ascent to Starav, to then lose all the height going over to Glas Bheinn Mhor. Allison was also thinking strategically that leaving Beinn nan Aighenan wasn't a wise move as it would be relatively awkward to get it later on its own. We therefore decided to cut down into Coire nam Fuaran and avoid reascent. This proved slow as Allison takes her time going over boulderfields but eventually we crossed the Allt Hallater high up in the coire, as it ran over granite slabs, and set off up Beinn nan Aighenan.

ImageDSC01396 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Starav
ImageDSC01397 by Al, on Flickr

Meall Cruidh
ImageDSC01400 by Al, on Flickr

To Stob an Duine Rhuaidh
ImageDSC01401 by Al, on Flickr

Starav
ImageDSC01404 by Al, on Flickr

2nd Top
ImageDSC01405 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Trilleachan
ImageDSC01407 by Al, on Flickr

The way ahead to Beinn nan Aighenan
ImageDSC01410 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn nan Aighenan
ImageDSC01411 by Al, on Flickr

Oh the delights of paths up Munros. 350m ascent, but easily attained. A fine day now, good views south to Cruachan. Back the way we'd come and up to the bealach between Starav and Meall nan Tri-Tighearnan. The long back of Glas Bheinn Mhor stretched ahead of us - it was 6pm by the time we reached the summit. Some tricky sections descending the ridge before Coire Odhar as accumulations of snow covered the path and deep crevasses sat gaping and waiting to swallow us. But we reached the path down into Coire Odhar and followed the Allt Mheuran. We kept to the right of the river, ground becoming ever boggier as we descended, but it was such a fine evening that this was insignificant. An almost full moon loitered in the sky as we returned to the car, past a shaggy-maned stag with new velvet antlers pushing up on his head. a good drive down an almost deserted road, not home til almost 11pm...

Looking back at our 2 Tops
ImageDSC01412 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC01414 by Al, on Flickr

Glas Bheinn Mhor
ImageDSC01415 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Aighenan
ImageDSC01417 by Al, on Flickr

Glas Bheinn Mhor
ImageDSC01419 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC01420 by Al, on Flickr

Looking back into Coire Odhar
ImageDSC01425 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC01428 by Al, on Flickr

ImageDSC01430 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Wanderer

Munros:203   Corbetts:161
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:163   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland