walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great walk, shame I lost my camera half way

Great walk, shame I lost my camera half way

Postby U059361 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 30/04/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1040m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The walk was good once up off the sodden side of Geal Charn and up into the fresh snow, easy to spot as still powdery. Coming down Geal Charn towards the bealach it was getting windy, so I stopped to put my jacket back on. Took my camera off, then rucksack and slipped on my jacket and zipped it up. Got my rucksack back on and so keen was I to get up the hill to the top of the ridge that I left my camera behind. I got to the top of the ridge, checked the time, plenty, so decided to go to Beinn Udlamain while I could. As I got closer to the drop down to go over to the hill I thought I'd take a picture. WHAT!!! NO CAMERA :( :( :( I ran back along the ridge and fair jumped back down the path to the bealach in record time. Looked along the path above and beyond where I'd stopped but no sign of it. So as of now, no pics from Geal Charn. Nothing left but to head back up and finish the walk to A'Mharconaich as originally planned and I'll have to leave Beinn Udlamain for another day. As stated in WH, don't keep walking straight back to the railway bridge as the route gets extremely boggy with no path. I did as advised and went left, found an easy crossing at the stream and took the track back. Two other peole weren't so lucky and trudged through the bog to go over the railway bridge.
Still no sign of the camera :(
ImageBeinn Udlamain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSummit of A'Mharconaich to Beinn Udlamain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageDrumochter by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGeal Charn, Loch Ericht, Ben Alder by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageA'Mharconaich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland