walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Postby weescotsman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:21 am

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 03/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1228m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Doing this from memory as it was nearly a month ago....

beinn-dorain.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We picked a gorgeous day to get out on the mountains, clear blue skies with hardly a dot of cloud to be seen anywhere. None of us had climbed these 2 peaks before so that was the challenge. Drove via Stirling to pick up friends then on to Bridge of Orchy via a pitstop at the Green Welly store. Very busy given the weather, we expected the hills to be pretty busy.

Parked up at the station about 10 am, ignoring the sign that we weren't allowed to..... reckon they might get 1 or 2 trains a day stopping at Orchy, if any at all.

Met an old bloke just after we started that we'd met previously doing some of the Lawers range, he's 80 next year. Full credit to him he was still going at a fair pace...

old man.jpg
79 and still going strong...

Asccending up to the point where the route splits was a bit tricky with the scrambling over the loose rock, a few slips here and there but no damage done apart from Kev losing his cheapo £3 shades... 8)

Quick pitstop here to have a bite to eat and drink and chat to some of the other climbers. Discussed whether to do the boggy climb first or second but it doesn't really matter as we were definitely doing both anyways. So it was Beinn Dorain first as it looked more straightforward.

Seem to have a lack of any pics between our first stop and the summit cairn, but here's Ben Nevis just in the distance.

nevis.jpg
Ben Nevis

And the buzzards that Kev thought were giant crows. Sure he was teasing.... wasn't he ?

buzzards.jpg
Buzzards... or giant crows ?

backdown.jpg
Heading back down to the split with Loch Tulla
to the left and Nevis in the background.

Back down the path to the split point and the climb through the bog to Beinn an Dothaidh. I found it a bit tough at first, quite steep even before you get to the boggy area, but generally I'm the tail that wags the dog when we go out seeing as I've only been doing munro's for a year and a half compared to the others who have done 10 yrs +.

There's no real way to avoid the bogs, just need to slog through them as best you can.

Just kept my head down and eventually caught up with the others at the summit of Beinn an Dothaidh.... Didn't feel cold at all at the top, there was a breeze but nothing like I've experienced on other peaks.

Bee told this next pic is Loch Rannoch but I'm not so sure. Always thought it was much bigger. Feel free to correct me.

rannoch.jpg
Loch Rannoch ?

All in we took about 6 hrs which is good going for me, maybe the only mistake on my part was wearing the thermal long johns, despite there being several patches of frost and ice-covered rocks it was very warm and a gorgeous say to be out in the mountains.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:55 pm

weescotsman wrote:Bee told this next pic is Loch Rannoch but I'm not so sure. Always thought it was much bigger. Feel free to correct me.

You're right, it's not Rannoch, it's Loch Ba and Lochan Na Achlaise which the A82 road over Rannoch Moor goes between on the way over from Loch Tulla to Glen Coe (or vice versa). Coz of the lay of the land, Loch Rannoch is too far down in a dip for you to see from there. Nice pics, you managed to find a great day out of some lousy weather recently!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland