walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Magnificent Seven (Plus two)

The Magnificent Seven (Plus two)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Brim Fell, Coniston Old Man, Dow Crag, Great Carrs, Grey Friar, Swirl How, Wetherlam

Hewitts included on this walk: Black Sails, Dovenest Crag, Dow Crag, Grey Friar, Swirl How, The Old Man of Coniston, Wetherlam

Date walked: 14/04/2018

Time taken: 7

Distance: 23.09 km

Ascent: 1417m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walks in Lakeland are apparently like buses, following Wednesday's outing to Ennerdale I was heading back over the A66 the following Saturday. Due to dropping Nicola and Grace off at Durham to catch a train to Sheffield my arrival at the Walna Scar car park was way later than I usually prefer at around 11 O'Clock, still I had no limits to when I had to be back other than the sun going down so once I found a place to dump the car without removing my exhaust or breaking an axle in the numerous pot holes me and Hughie set off up the Walna Scar road in high spirits.

My intention for the day was to visit all Seven Coniston wainwrights but as this was dependant upon how I was feeling this plan was in no way set in stone. It was somewhat cloudy and hazy when I set off but the forecast was for a gradual improvement through the day and already some patches of sunshine were breaking through and the tops were, by in large clear.

ImageHeading up the Walna Scar Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClearing skies to the South by Anthony Young, on Flickr

As one would expect the Walna Scar road was very busy at this time but once I turned off for the path by Goat's water the crowds thinned out to a trickle. I had never been on this path before and I must say I found it very nice, like a scaled down version of Corrie Lagan on Skye especially once the tarn is reached and the mighty Dow Crag towers impressively skywards.

ImageThe Old Mans Scars by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGoat's Water and Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr (click for bigger version)

Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was very peaceful next to Goat's Water but I resisted the temptation to sit and take it all in and kept a steady pace up the back of the Corrie to Goat's Hawse. From here it's a surprisingly easy gradient up the the spectacular rocky summit, perhaps the best in the district. I felt great following the ascent and quite exhilarated by the views, so full of energy we set off for the Old man. Once past the hawse I somehow missed the highway to the top :roll: and had to correct my error across open fell but was soon romping up with the crowds to one of the Lakes busiest summits.

ImageSome Light catches Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFells to come.... by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGoat's Hawse by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGoat's Water from Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSouth from Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHarter Fell from Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMoody Scafells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageConiston Old Man by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSunlight on Dow Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It is often said anybody can make a mistake but only a fool fails to learn from it. Well on my way to the crowded top a nice gentleman pointed out I'd dropped my fleece which was secured :roll: in the strapping on the back of my pack, I thanked him, retrieved the item, and carried on with the fleece returned to its previous position. You can probably guess the rest but more of that later.

ImageOn the way up the Old Man by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageClassic Summit View by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageConiston Old Man by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTourist route by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe way ahead by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Coniston Old Man may be a very busy top but the views are stunning with great depth and interest, I took the scene in but as I wasn't particularly hungry yet I headed off across the easiest of ground towards Brim Fell. The Coniston Fells are, by in large, blessed with fine summits but Brim Fell is rather the ugly duckling in this respect and therefore not really a place to linger so I carried on to the greatly superior Birkett top of Great How Crags to have a break and a bite to eat. It was slightly chilly so I put my trusty old fleece on for what would be that last time :cry: enjoyed some of my rations and soaked up the views.

ImageBrim Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrey Friar catches some sun by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLevers Water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAhead to Great How Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSeathwaite Tarn and Harter Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWetherlam from Great How Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLunch spot view by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I was still well ahead of time so I strapped my fleece onto the back of my pack :roll: and headed of to visit the Coniston outlier of Grey Friar. I was just starting the ascent when I noticed my fleece was gone, I searched the immediate area I'd just covered but it wasn't anywhere to be seen :( Following a bit of a think I resolved to carry on to the summit which wasn't far before retracing my steps back to Great How Crags.

ImageDow Crag (again) by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMatterhorn Rock by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDuddon Valley and Harter Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGrey Friar by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSummiting with the Scafells behind by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageChanging of the Light by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYes it's Dow Crag again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I trudged rather disconsolately back up to Great How Crags, fleece-less and rather annoyed at whoever had scavenged it. They also now have my favourite warm hat and a decent pair of woollen gloves so if you read this, found a two tone green Berghaus fleece on the 14th of April and are attacked by guilt I'll happily pay the postage for the items to be returned. With this setback it was time to crack on so I got going along the Swirl band, passed the top of Swirl How and followed the top of Broad Slack to Great Carrs.

ImageLooking back on the Swirl Band by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCrash site with the Scafells beyond by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat Carrs by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I had another rest and rations stop here with the tremendous view down to Little Langdale for company. My original full plan involved the two other Birkets a bit further down the ridge which I wasn't sure if I'd bagged last time I was this way, but given the backtracking I gave them a miss and headed back to the busy summit of Swirl How and the descent of the Prison Band.

ImageLooking back at Great Carrs by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSwirl How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The Prison Band is not really threatening like it's name suggests and it provides a nice route down from, or up to Swirl How. I was on the way to Wetherlam following crossing Swirl hause when I decided that If I was going to visit all the main summits of the Coniston Fells I had to include Black Sails, so off we trudged for another 40 meters of ascent to this fine and often overlooked top. Wetherlam quickly followed and so did a sit with boots off in the sun. By this time I'd unwittingly made my second balls up of the day and managed to turn my camera onto small Jpeg format so if the last 10 or so images don't quite look as good as normal that's the reason. I felt remarkably good considering the distance and ascent i'd undertaken so far and with the sun shining my fleece woes were totally forgotten.

ImageLooking back just before the Prison Band by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageOn the Prison Band by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking over to Wetside edge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePrison Band by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSnow! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBlack Sails by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLevers Water and Raven Torr by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHalf and Half by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageWetherlam by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie takes in the views by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It was downhill just about all the way now and with an easy gradient a very pleasurable walk in the early evening sunshine. Little did I know my camera was now taking sub standard photos but that can't be helped now. By the time I returned to Walna Scar car park it was around 6 P.M. and facing a fairly long drive home I took my time and stopped for provisions at a services. My tea was an unusual mix of items but following a long day in the hills it all got shovelled in happily. :D This had been a great day in the hills (losses not withstanding, if you found it please P.M. me!) and one i'll remember for a long time to come.

ImageLad Stones Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie on Hole Rake by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back up at the fells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageYouth hostel by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ConistonFells.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The Magnificent Seven (Plus two)

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Lovely report (material losses notwithstanding!) :clap:

An identical route to one I planned for my few days down there last month but never managed to squeeze it in before I had to head back north. Next time! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby trailmasher » Sat May 05, 2018 7:07 pm

A great walk on the Coniston Fells JK and lovely ones they are 8) Another well written report and great photos of the day out :clap: . Like the one of Hughie enjoying his romp in the snow :lol: Great way to cool down on a hot day :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue May 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Graeme D wrote:Lovely report (material losses notwithstanding!) :clap:

An identical route to one I planned for my few days down there last month but never managed to squeeze it in before I had to head back north. Next time! 8)

Thank you, you'll love the Coniston Fells, great easy walking and fantastic views (as long as the weather plays ball)

trailmasher wrote:A great walk on the Coniston Fells JK and lovely ones they are 8) Another well written report and great photos of the day out :clap: . Like the one of Hughie enjoying his romp in the snow :lol: Great way to cool down on a hot day :wink:

Cheers TM, our Hughie does love a snow bath, not so keen myself :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland