walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An evening wander - Beinn an Lochain.

An evening wander - Beinn an Lochain.

Postby dooterbang » Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 28/04/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 800m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Coming of 3 nightshifts, finishing Saturday morning, I managed to stay awake and headed to Arrochar for a loop of Beinn an Lochain. Joining me for more adventures would be Fiona. Driving up I felt really tired but I was positive the fresh air and mountain views would revive me :)

Decided to park up at the Rest & be Thankful car par and start from here, firstly walking 2k up the road by Loch Restil.

After 2k we crossed the river and started our ascent up the North ridge, a steep one at that.

Further up the ridge it started looking pretty spectacular :)

It was nice having this walk to ourselves, especially up here in the ever popular Arrochar. The Succooth car park was bursting at the seams when we passed it earlier, we were glad to be away from all that to enjoy the peace and solitude.

Not long after an hour we topped out at the summit 8)

Great views West

Most folk descend back down the ascent route, however we decided to descend the South ridge and make it a nice loop.

A nice little snow patch providing a reflective pose :)

Looking back North to the summit.

Looking SE down Glen Croe

The final descent meant gingerly picking our way down a pathless gully, and steep SE face. Conditions underfoot wet in places. We took our time however, all good fun :)

The descent, with the Cobbler & Beinn Narnain in the distance.

After a while we eventually reached less steeper terrain and hit the tree line.

A Lone Tree - The Tree of Life :)

A big boulder!

The last kilometere was slightly boggy before reaching the road taking us back to the car park, it was an easy walk once on the road. It was late evening, but a nice one :D

Beinn an Lochain is a cracking mountain with a nice ridge to reach its summit, furthermore its not as busy as some of the other. It has spectacular views in all directions, I highly recommend it 8)

The following day we went to the Isle of Bute for a cycle, Fiona was pretty quick on her bike...and didn't moan once :wink: We enjoyed some ice cream at Etrrick Bay, with great views over to Arran...destination for our next adventure :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: An evening wander - Beinn an Lochain.

Postby malky_c » Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Nice wander - Beinn an Lochan always looks good :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby iainR » Sat May 05, 2018 10:48 pm

I did shift work for nearly 20 years and to contemplate climbing a hill like this after finishing a nightshift would've been unthinkable.....respect. Great report on the only major Arrochar hill i haven't visited yet.
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 am

Great idea, good result :thumbup: You two are just too fit - this after nightshift then off for a cycle the next day ! :mrgreen:

I see you're still keeping up the posing :wink: - cheers :)

DB.jpg
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland