walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WH Beinn a' Bheithir

WH Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby retrogear » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Date walked: 31/10/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday morning 5am. Get up and have breakfast. I had spent the previous evening wondering whether it was a good idea to meet some random people in a remote location, just as night was giving way to day. You do read about these things, you know. After finding the bunkhouse at first light and spending some minutes sorting through my kit, realising that my hat and gloves were still at home, and getting my boots on, I finally plucked up enough courage to make my way to the door of the bunkhouse. One car had a Walkhighlands sticker displayed, so this was the correct location. Still feeling a bit apprehensive, I approached a solitary figure standing at the door. “Is this the Walkhighlands meet?” I ventured. As I drew level and noticed that my neck was still tilted back, I added “So, you must be Stretch, then.”

Watching people eat their breakfast two hours after you finished yours is a strange kind of torture. People emerged from rooms, new people arrived through the door, and very few firm plans were in place. As time marched on, it became clear that a decision had to be made, and soon. With a couple of people already committed to the Beinn a’ Bheithir horseshoe, this soon looked like a major expedition with carloads of people following suit.
So, how do we get to the big hill that we can see ahead of us? Use a GPS of course. Detour through a housing scheme and go right round the shinty pitch and were almost there! The first gentle walk to the base of the hill put me in good spirits, and I was really looking forward to a nice day on a fantastic hill. Even whilst ascending the first slopes, I was going well – not too fast, not too slow. The views across the loch were so fine, sunshine highlighting the Pap, a deep blue colouring of Loch Leven, that I even stated we were in for a good day on the hill.
DSCF6186.JPG
a nice start
DSCF6187.JPG
good weather to follow

What a foolish thing to say.
With the rain starting to wet us, the group bunched up on the scrambly, rocky section. Even the dog managed to bound up the crags.
DSCF6188.JPG
climbing up
DSCF6189.JPG
strung out
The group was now strung out along the ridge. Shadowy creatures obscured by mist. This was now becoming hard. As I approached the first bump on the ridge I could feel my legs straining.
DSCF6191.JPG
on the rocks
DSCF6192.JPG
long way down
A bite for something to eat on Sgorr Bhan gave a bit of respite, but I now realised that my waterproofs had had their day. Rain was now seeping through their ancient skin.
DSCF6193.JPG
into the weather
DSCF6194.JPG
lunch - camera dies

Onwards towards the summit of Sgorr Dhearg and the weather cranked up a notch or two. Stinging hail exfoliated our faces as we climbed the tortuous route to the top. After just enough time to collect everyone, we headed down to the bealach. What joy to be out of the wind and hail. My spirits lifted and I thought of the text peak. The zig-zag route was now clear ahead and I decided to make a brave attempt at it. Ten paces later, with the hail scouring my face, I decided I’d had enough and descended the corrie that Leithysuburbs (sorry, too many new names in such a short space of time) had headed down not moments before.

On the route down we could see the bold WH members tackling peak two. A pang of regret surfaced for us both but quickly disappeared when we saw the weather engulf them. A long walk to the forest was followed by a long walk to the road. This in turn was followed by a long walk along the road in the pouring rain. Ballachulish was a long way from the bottom of the hill, but when we saw the miles sign on the cycle track we perked up. Ten minutes later we perked down as we passed a road sign stating 2 miles. At last, wet and weary we got to the car park. Now a complicated procedure involving car keys, a Land Rover back door key and a barely open window took place (hope you found everything, guys). A quick change followed by a late lunch at the Clach completed the day.
Well done for organising the meet, Stretch. Absolutely fantastic, even though I couldn’t stay over.
John
retrogear

Re: WH Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby Alan S » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:59 pm

Nice one retrogear 8) good to see the first report from the meet up im sure there will be plenty to follow :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:57 pm

At least you got some views earlier on, although the hail was murder! Sounds like everyone had a good time out on these two. Good to meet you anyway, if only very briefly! :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountainstar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:22 pm

retrogear wrote:Saturday morning 5am.

.....Yes, we also had a similar "alarm call" But I will leave others to tell that story :oops: ......
Good to see the 1st of many trip reports on this eventful weekend, really enjoyed that walk in a sadistic type of way, good to meet you and all the others.

I will leave the trip reports to others, but will start a new tread for anyone who wants to add their pictures only....
here....http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8026
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Milesy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Last year when I was going up that wee scramble half the rocks came away in my hands and I nearly went tumbing down into the coire! :shock:
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Nice report Retrogear. Shame you choose not to do the second peak because it is not far from the beallach. However the weather was abysmal :lol: I can't remember going up that scramble. Strange. Must be getting auld :lol: It was a long walk out. :D
monty

Postby Michelle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 pm

mountainstar wrote:
retrogear wrote:Saturday morning 5am.

.....Yes, we also had a similar "alarm call" But I will leave others to tell that story :oops: ......

...I'd like to "hear" that one!! :wink: :lol:

Sounds like it was a great (and eventful!!) meet-up. Would love to have joined y'all, shame I don't live just a little bit closer!
I recall being pelted by hail and general airborne misery when I did those two a few years ago... but as I was leaving the second summit, the sky relented and it began to clear, so rather than returning via the forest I retraced my steps along the ridge, and got to see everything I missed on the way in when I had my eyes squeezed shut and my hood over my face :)
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Great report, you've summed it up perfectly :thumbup:

I've got a stash of pics I'll sort out soon - I've just added a random few to the other thread
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby retrogear » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 pm

monty wrote: Shame you choose not to do the second peak because it is not far from the beallach.

At that point I felt like Evans trailing behind the rest of Scott's team in the Antarctic wilderness. :( I would have liked to continue, but I knew I was fading as quickly as my clothes were absorbing water.
retrogear

Postby Stretch » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:14 pm

Really glad you could make it along (John if I remember correctly), sorry for causing any neck strain. The wake up call story is bound to grow to epic size.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Ah yes, of course, its not a good idea to be wet in those conditions with your waterproof giving up the ghost. Nice pictures of the scramble. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland