walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Mare's Tail, Loch Skene, and my first hills over 2000ft

Grey Mare's Tail, Loch Skene, and my first hills over 2000ft

Postby Christo1979 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:29 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: White Coomb

Date walked: 29/04/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 1028m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two of a weekend in the Moffat Hills started in the car park at Grey Mare's Tail, about 9:30am. Only saw four other walkers the entire day. Weather was fine, and the views on the steep hillside path up to Grey Mare's Tail were stunning.

ImageOn the path to Grey Mare's Tail by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The good path is easy to follow all the way up past the waterfalls, following Tail Burn as far as Loch Skeen (Skene). On the horizon above, I could make out my first hill of the day (and my first Donald), Mid Craig.

ImageFollowing Tail Burn up to Loch Skene by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

I crossed the burn at the very head of the loch, and followed a fairly easy route up Mid Craig, which offers great views back over the water and across to Lochcraig Head. It would have been perhaps an obvious choice to continue to to Lochcraig, but instead I headed north-east across some pretty boggy ground toward Firthybrig Head.

ImageLoch Skene from Mid Craig by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

A fence follows what was once the line of a stone wall, and this took me on to Donald's Cleuch Head, Firthhope Rig, and finally up to White Coomb - my first ever corbett! :)

ImageAtop White Coomb by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The weather took a little turn, and an ominous dark cloud loomed behind, but none of it lasted and the sun was soon out again. After admiring the views from White Coomb, I stayed with the fence and finished-up at my last hill (and first Graham), Carrifran Gans.

ImageLooking back at White Coomb, from Carrifran Gans by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

This weekend I had travelled up to Moffat by train and bus, and had taken a taxi to the start of today's walk (it's some 9.5 miles from Moffat to Grey Mare's Tail car park, and there is no public transport at all). I had decided to walk all the way back to Moffat after todays hill adventure, so wanted to take a fairly direct route back down to the A708. From Carrifran Gans I followed the fence straight down, which was certainly direct but maybe a little steep for a novice like myself! :shock:

ImageDescending Carrifran Gans by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The walk along the road to Moffat was a pretty long, and frustrating because of having to avoid traffic, but it gave stunning views from the valley floor back up at all the hills along the way. All in all, a great day's walking in the Moffat Hills, and the chance to start bagging my first hills. Can't wait to return to the area!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Christo1979
Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:34
Grahams:31   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:134
Wainwrights:157   Islands:25

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland