walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the weather I ordered in Torridon

Not the weather I ordered in Torridon

Postby malky_c » Mon May 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh

Date walked: 07/05/2018

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1010m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Beinn Damh.
Date: 07/05/2018.
Distance: 11 km.
Ascent: 1010m.
Time: 3 hours, 50 minutes.
Weather: Grey and showery, cloud on the summits.

My second attempt this bank holiday to have a walk in Torridon - on Saturday it had looked better further east so I had headed to Glen Strathfarrar. Today's forecast looked similar but I hoped to find a break in the weather later on in the day.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Originally I intended including Beinn na h-Eaglaise, but I wasn't parked up near the Torridon Hotel until 1pm so I decided to leave it out. The weather wasn't great but it could have been worse. I decided to head up Coire Roill first to get onto Beinn Damh via the Stuc Toll nam Biast ridge. This looks like a really improbable route, but I came down it 10 years ago and found a couple of cairns marking an easy route. This would also leave me Sgurr na Ban Mhoraire for last, when the weather was supposed to clear up a little. This happens to be a great viewpoint, possibly even better than Beinn Damh itself due to the way it sits out over Loch Torridon.

Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire

The path up the corrie is pretty good, and after around an hour, I was at the lochan at the head of the corrie. Contouring under crags and outcrops from here takes you fairly straightforwardly to the steep ascent. The sun came out over Maol Chean-dearg and things were looking quite promising here.

Liathach and Loch Torridon

Allt Coire Roill and Beinn Damh

Liathach from Coire Roill

Eastern flank of Beinn Damh

Maol Chean-dearg

Maol Chean-dearg

The easiest route up Stuc Coire an Laoigh is to the left (east), where there is even a faint path now (can't remember if this was here before) and the aforementioned cairns. Slightly further west is some optional scrambling which I avoided due to the rock being quite greasy.

Stuc Coire an Laoigh

Stuc Toll nam Biast

Maol Chean-dearg

Stuc Coire an Laoigh

Cairn marking the ascent of Stuc Toll nam Biast

Before long I was up the steep bit and into the cloud, where a short shower also came on. Not what I had hoped for really, but never mind. A narrowish arete leads up to the steep summit crag, which is bypassed to the right.

After pacing the summit a bit, I decided it wasn't going to clear and headed along the crest of the ridge for the 868m top. I dawdled along here, hoping it would clear at some point, but it never did. A quick look at the map told me that I needed to go west a bit to get on the correct ridge and descend on the right side of the Toll Ban. I didn't bother getting my compass out and - surprise surprise - ended up descending the wrong ridge!

Glac Buidhe

It didn't really matter in the end as Sgurr na Bana Mhoraire didn't look like it was going to clear any time soon, meaning I would have missed it out anyway. I joined the usual ascent path and enjoyed looking at the waterfalls further down the corrie.

Waterfall on the Allt Coire Roill

Allt Coire Roill

Torridon and Loch Torridon

Shortly after I arrived back at the car, the weather did clear a bit, although not the summits. Possibly if I'd hung around for another hour in the murk I would have eventually got views, but I doubt I would have bothered with that. Instead I enjoyed the scenery on the way home, which got progressively sunnier as I headed east.

Liathach from the Shieldaig road

Always good to get to Torridon even if the weather doesn't play ball.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Not the weather I ordered in Torridon

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 am

Totally agree with your closing sentiments - Torridon is awesome in any weather 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Alteknacker » Tue May 08, 2018 3:01 pm

That looks like a really good way to do the circuit, rather than up and down by the standard path/route.

Pity about the weather.

Completely agree with your observation on the quality of Sgur na ban Mhoraire as a viewing point. I did the ridge in winter and we were completely blown away by the views 360 degrees.

Am hoping to be in Torridon mid-June, with a view to probably doing Maol Chean-dearg and friends, so it was good to see this superb-looking hill (before yr clouds closed in :( ). Mind you, all the hills in Torridon are superb-looking...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Murky perhaps but still looked atmospheric and brooding - on the to-do list for some point in the future - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland