walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Turning blue on Ben Vorlich

Turning blue on Ben Vorlich

Postby martin.h » Fri May 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 05/05/2018

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 945m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For our first visit to Scotland in 2018 we chose the Mayday Bankholiday weekend and looking at the forecast we were hoping for a good 'un to continue our munro collecting campaign. :D

We chose the Glasgow airport Travelodge as our base and the first munro for 2018 was going to be Ben Vorlich our final Arrochar Alps munro.

Whilst the bulk of the U.K was going to be basking in record breaking sunshine and temperatures there was a small section of the British Isles that wasn't and that's where we were off to :roll: , we've often joked that we could cure any drought affected area of the world by visiting it, we'd attract the rain and bring relief to many :lol:

We decided to do the Walkhighlands route as a fairly straight forward way to get back into the munro frame of mind, it warned of an unremittingly steep ascent from the road leading to the Loch Sloy dam so we prepared ourselves for a lot of huffing and puffing :shock:

Saturday dawned to low grey cloud but that didn't deter us, we just wanted to get out and have a bit of fun, we had our breakfast and then set off for Inveruglas, there was a bit of drizzle in the air but nothing that wasn't in the forecast. As we pulled into the carpark by the visitor centre there was a wee bit more than drizzle, we paid our £4 for parking, got ready and were on our way by 9:15am :D

We followed the road to the dam, the clouds were low on the hillsides,

further on we were careful not to miss the path leading up the mountainside, we were told it starts below the fourth pylon down from the dam and sure enough that's where it was, there's a little bridge over the drainage ditch and a cairn indicating the start.
The path is pitched to start with and easy to walk on, we soon gained height, the clouds were well down and it was raining but it was good to be out in the Scottish mountains again :D

The views were limited but at least we could see the dam.

The climb is steep and there's no real let up in it's steepness,

Impending clag :roll:

we soon entered the clag so it was a case of heads down and plod, nice and steady.

Claggy rest stop :lol:

Arriving at the trig point we paused momentarily then carried on to the summit or that's what I thought we were doing, we started to go downhill, that was ok, it's supposed to drop a fraction between the two summits, however, it carried on dropping for longer than I thought it should so we stopped for a quick look at the map and gps, according to the gps we were still on route but heading in the opposite direction to the summit, WTF, eh?, :shock: back to the trig point to
relocate :? another look at the map and the gps told us that we must have skirted below the trig point and gone around it approaching it from the opposite direction we were actually on the way down again :roll: a quick bearing corrected the error and we were soon heading for the summit :D it brought it home to us how easy it is to go wrong even when there are good paths to follow, wind, rain, cold and clag can deter the mind from being vigilant, I'll try not to make that mistake again.

Unfortunately we didn't get any views from our first munro of year :roll: but we did manage to get a rare photo of us both on the summit thanks to a lady we met who'd made the same mistake as we did at the trig, we'd joined forces to get to the summit :D

We didn't hang around on the top it was cold, wet and windy, we set off for the trig and started to make our way down the way we'd come.

We emerged from the clag just above the track to the dam,

Just about back on the road

I got a couple of atmospheric photo's of the dam and the clouds swirling around the slopes of Ben Vane and A' Chrois,

it had stopped raining so we decided to find a boulder each to sit on to have lunch, it was pleasantly warm compared to the cold conditions on the summit so we soon started to dry out :D

Fed and watered we set off for the final stretch back to the car arriving back at the visitor centre at 2:30pm
Not a bad day out, our first munro since last July, how time flies :shock: :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Turning blue on Ben Vorlich

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Nice one Martin, shame about the weather my last few summits have been in the clag. I know from experience how easy it is to head in the wrong direction, especially in grotty conditions.
Welcome back north BTW.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Jaxter » Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 am

Nice one - yes I think the East was better that weekend :lol:

Still, nothing wrong with a nice atmospheric day on the hills :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby martin.h » Sun May 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Jaxter wrote:Nice one - yes I think the East was better that weekend :lol:

Still, nothing wrong with a nice atmospheric day on the hills :wink:

Hi Jackie, yeah we were watching the forecast thinking it looked better East but, that said, the Arrochar Alps just seem to suit those kind of conditions, almost "Lost worldly", steep rugged mountainsides disappearing into the mist, Could have sworn I heard a Pterodactyl squawkin' :lol:

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Martin, shame about the weather my last few summits have been in the clag. I know from experience how easy it is to head in the wrong direction, especially in grotty conditions.
Welcome back north BTW.

Hi Martin,
Thanks, it's nice to get back north of the border, we've missed it.
I was quite surprised and a bit concerned about what happened on the top, it certainly showed us not to be too over confident and take popular mountains for granted :shock:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland