walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a Chaorainn From Moy, Loch Laggan

Beinn a Chaorainn From Moy, Loch Laggan

Postby andrew11 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean)

Date walked: 12/05/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last Year on my way to the Scottish 6 Days Trial I climbed Carn Liath (Creag Meagaidh) and Stob Poite Coire Ardair with the intention of taking in Creag Meagaidh as well. But as told in my report of that walk ("2 Munros above loch Laggan") I didn't manage it.

This year, again on the way to the SSDT, I thought I would rectify the omission! However I am embarrassed to admit that I CLIMBED THE WRONG HILL BY MISTAKE! Anyone reading this ever done that? I did come down the wrong side of Schiehallion as a teenager in mist (see my report "Return to Schiehallion after 50 years!") Apart from that I think I have managed to walk where I meant to except for the few times I have been forced to turn back by the conditions. Will use satnav next time! Or even a map!!

So I ended up climbing Beinn a' Caorainn instead!

On the way back I decided to try to find a way back to the car park by crossing the Moy burn higher up and avoiding the walk on the road. But when I got to the burn it was too big for me to cross so I had to keep west of it and settle for the road walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
Approach to the hill

2.jpg
Half way up looking back

3.jpg
Natural sculpture

4.jpg
At the top (You can't see the wind!)

5.jpg
Keeping back from the cornices!!

6.jpg
Managed to cross this burn dry-footed (But not the bogs!!)

12.jpg
Mountain gem

7.jpg
View from my digs for the night. Where was I?

8.jpg
Morning light looking over loch Linnhe from the SSDT Parc Ferme.

9.jpg
My nephew Kevin White riding in the last section of the SSDTYY after a grueling week for man and machine.

10.jpg

11.jpg
Took the chance to go by this little known location!!

A fantastic day out on the hill followed by great craic with the biking community and a wonderful day out following the trials riders achieving the impossible in the toughest of terrain in glorious weather among some of the most exquisite scenery known to man. Bet you're jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland