walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kelvin Walkway, well most of it...

Kelvin Walkway, well most of it...

Postby StevieC » Mon May 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Route description: Kelvin Walkway: Glasgow to Milngavie

Date walked: 13/05/2018

Time taken: 3.15 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 234m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kelvin Walkway 2018.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

...but not all of it, because I live quite near the Kelvin, so I just joined it at the point nearest to my home. I like to do this walk every year or two, at different times of year. This year I decided on a spring walk. I joined the official Kelvin Walkway at Kelvindale. This stretch can best be described as a long urban park that runs alongside the river, busy with joggers, cyclists and dog walkers. The path passes under the Forth & Clyde Canal at Maryhill Locks and shortly after under the Maryhill Railway Line.

Near Maryhill Locks

Going under the Maryhill Railway Line

Shortly after this there is a footbridge leading to Dawsholm Park...ignore it and carry straight on. The path now climbs up towards the A81 - Maryhill Road. You can either turn off before this and continue alongside the river for a few hundred yards through the University of Glasgow's Garscube Estate or take this opportunity to cross the road - you have to cross it either way. I decided to cross the road and enter Maryhill Park. Considering it was a scorching hot Sunday afternoon the park was unbelievably empty...a bit of a hidden gem perhaps? It even has its own trig point, which is a bit weird as it doesn't even seem to sit at the high point of the park. Good views north to the Campsies though, which is probably why it's here.

Maryhill Park

Maryhill Park trig looking north

Leave Maryhill Park onto Caldercuilt Road and head north...after a short while the road peters out and becomes a track running alongside a horse riding school. After a few hundred yards you rejoin the River Kelvin...and suddenly you're in the countryside! Turn right to continue heading towards Milngavie. The path is well defined and maintained at this stage, with just a few muddy bits to negotiate. At this time of year the place is alive with butterflies and birds...in the trees and on the water.

Rejoining the River Kelvin

Woodland by the river

On this stretch there's a short section of open fields, leaving the woodland behind for a few hundred yards. It might be coincidence, but every time I've done this walk I've seen buzzards along this precise stretch, and today was no exception. One was being relentlessly mobbed by a gang of crows...I felt quite sorry for it! Further along I was lucky enough to see a young family of Great Crested Grebes out on the river - mother and four chicks looking very cute.

Buzzard hotspot

Once back in the woods it's not long before you have to briefly rejoin civilization by crossing the A879 and switching banks of the river. From this point on the path gets a bit more "rural" and after a while it climbs above the river and eventually you lose sight of the River Kelvin for good...the next bit of water you come across is the Allander Water which joins the River Kelvin around here. The path turns west to follow it and head towards Milngavie.

Allander Water

The path here is sometimes a joy to walk along and sometimes a muddy mess punctuated with broken stiles. The stretch just after Boclair is particularly bad, but on the other hand you can always take a short detour to Dobbie's Garden Centre if you fancy some refreshments.

Just after the muddy stretch you emerge into open countryside and shortly the terrain gets gradually more urban until just after Rangers' training ground on the right you arrive in Milngavie...hopefully in good time to jump on a train back home (in my case).

Looking back along the Allander Water

This is a great walk to have on my doorstep for those days when you don't have time for a full day out on the hills and just want to stretch the legs and enjoy some wonderful wildlife.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Kelvin Walkway, well most of it...

Postby michaelb » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:17 am

SteveC: Thanks for the notes, very helpful for a new comer. I arrived in Glasgow on 1 September 2019 to enroll as a very mature student and thought I had better take advantage of the hiking opportunities. My first ramble in Scotland for 34 years. Stopped at The Tickled Trout for lunch in glorious weather. Train back. Perfect start to a new adventure. :)
michaelb
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland