walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aoineadh Thapuill

Aoineadh Thapuill

Postby litljortindan » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Date walked: 12/05/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On my first visit to the Burg last year I could have included a loop round to the Aoineadh Thapuill or Ardmeanach cliffs but was on a tight schedule and decided to play safe by reversing my outward route.
This time though I came prepared for an overnight stay. Beautiful weather, an ahead of schedule ferry crossing at 12.50pm and no time pressure. What could possibly go wrong? Well pressure of different kind, or rather loss of it, as it turned out.
I carefully trundled up the bumpy Burg car park road and edged my way round a parked vehicle when bang! No, it wasn't Barry Scott with a cloth and some cleaning fluid. I had managed to acquire a flat tyre in probably the only way possible at that point. Having taken great pains to avoid the parked vehicle I had neglected to pay enough attention to the forward view and had shredded the driver side front tyre against a piece of metal protruding from the ground, the remains of an old gate post by the look of it.
I let out an involuntary yell of frustration which was met with concern from the occupants of the nearby house who immediately offered to take the afflicted wheel/tyre to the local garage. Given it was Saturday and there was no mobile phone signal I was only too glad to accept the offer. My car doesn't normally carry a spare wheel (but it does now!) and I doubted that the puncture repair kit would be much use but I could well have been wrong about that.
Three hours later I was ready to drive the last short distance to the car park and, as a bonus, the guy who helped with the trip to the garage also offered a trip to Tavool house in his ATV. This knocked 2.5miles off the outward route and was a big help given it was now getting on for 5.30pm.

ImageDSC07320c by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07323 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07325 by John Little, on Flickr
Sinking feeling.

ImageDSC07331 by John Little, on Flickr
ATV track.

ImageDSC07344 by John Little, on Flickr
Jura to the south.

ImageDSC07352 by John Little, on Flickr
Cut off north before this lochan to follow a path that contours along the western slopes of Creach Bheinn, so creating a short cut and avoiding a bit of descent and reascent over possibly boggy ground.

ImageDSC07358 by John Little, on Flickr
A shortcut.

ImageDSC07367 by John Little, on Flickr
Gribun cliffs to the east.

ImageDSC07368 by John Little, on Flickr
Rum and Skye to the north.

ImageDSC07370 by John Little, on Flickr
A breathtaking transition from moor to clifftop. With little idea of what sort of view to expect (couldn't find any photos from this spot though I did find some taken from the bottom looking up) I had prepared myself for possible disappointment. No need for that though.

ImageDSC07376 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07381 by John Little, on Flickr
A lot of debris below.

ImageDSC07382 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07383 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07389 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07451 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07457 by John Little, on Flickr
One of several spectacular gullies along the way.

ImageDSC07479 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07483 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07534 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07536 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07546 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07556 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07562 by John Little, on Flickr
Staffa bathed in evening light with a hazy Outer Hebrides beyond.

ImageDSC07572c by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07576c by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07577 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07585c3 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07604c by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07609 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07615c3 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07634 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSC07649 by John Little, on Flickr

Given I had played football the night before I found the five mile return route fairly easy and never had to use my head torch despite only reaching the car at midnight. Also, eschewing my sleeping bag and carry mat in favour of a cosier but more uncomfortable night in the car didn't cause me any problems.
Having been reminded that a puncture repair kit can deal with 85% of punctures I've decided on adding a spare wheel to the armoury. I suppose only ever having one flat tyre previously had made me complacent.
Last edited by litljortindan on Wed May 16, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Aoineadh Thapuill

Postby malky_c » Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Another place I considered visiting when I was on Mull recently, although I didn't recognise the name. Great viewpoint and sunset :D . Half the fun of your reports is working out which obscure bump you are on this time - you seem to be good at choosing for the summit views 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:268
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Re: Aoineadh Thapuill

Postby litljortindan » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

malky_c wrote:Another place I considered visiting when I was on Mull recently, although I didn't recognise the name. Great viewpoint and sunset :D . Half the fun of your reports is working out which obscure bump you are on this time - you seem to be good at choosing for the summit views 8)

As obscure bumps go this is quite a good one it has to be said. My original plan of trying to get here on a day trip is in retrospect a bit daft or, at least, would have been a relatively unenjoyable forced march. Much better to take in the sunset.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland