walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Once a Corbett, not always a Corbett....

Once a Corbett, not always a Corbett....

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Date walked: 29/04/2018

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of fun :

Meall Uaine

After a stressful start to the year, we decided to treat ourselves to a weekend beak. Log cabin booked and off we set after work on Friday up the A93 toward Blair. A short drive and we arrived at our lodgings for the weekend. Located above The Spittal of Glenshee we were all super impressed! Views up Glenshee towards the ski centre and up Glen Lochsie as well as back down Glenshee, I really didn’t need to leave the lodge to get some nice photos!

However, curiosity got the better of me and I was soon looking at the map and what hills could be scaled near bye! The usual suspects (i.e. Munros and Corbetts) had been walked on numerous occasions and I immediately noticed that the Cateran Trail ran along the side of the lodge. In fact the hill that the lodge was situated on looked inviting – Meall Uaine. More research followed and I discovered that Meall Uaine was listed in the original Corbetts list. However in the 80’s it was realised that it didn’t quite make Corbett status as the 500ft drop wasn’t quite 500ft!, and in fact there were no drops sufficient to meet this criteria between here and Glas Tulaichean (around 10km away along the ridge)!

So as the rain fell on the Friday night I hatched a plan to rise early and try and catch a sunrise, and be back before the family had risen!! After a few beers I had a one final glimpse outside and to my delight, I noticed the hills were white from about 600m, winter had returned with May only a few days away.

A comfortable sleep and I was up at 4am, with the first signs of dawn starting to light up the surroundings. Coffee and porridge devoured and I was soon heading up the Cateran trail. After a few hundred yards I decided to make a beeline for Mealle Uaine – the ground was frozen so the pathless, and probably usually boggy ground was fine to crunch across. The clear skies that had welcomed me on leaving the lodge were now being filled with mid level cloud unfortunately. However the increasing white terrain underfoot was putting a big smile on my face  As I gained height the Perthshire hills started to emerge and were looking fine with their fresh white coatings. Although a bright sunrise failed to develop it was still a lovely soft light that started to illuminate the landscape. Dapples of light started to break through and Beinn a’ Ghlo caught some of these rays.

ImageBeinn a' Ghlo from Glenshee by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The true summit was a short walk from the NW top and I was soon enjoying views across Scotland. Down in Glenshee the green spring foliage was being light up by the odd burst of light but it felt like a different world up on the cold monochrome tops.

ImageGlenshee light by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageSpring in the glen - winter on the tops by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

After soaking in the views for half an hour I decided to head back – it hadn’t turned 7 am yet! I had the ideal treat waiting for me at the lodge too after the cold on the tops (see end of video!!) ;)

A few snaps :

Mount Blair
ImageMount Blair by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Glenshee
ImageGlenshee by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Ben More
ImageBen More from Glenshee by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Once a Corbett, not always a Corbett....

Postby naepace » Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Great stuff Murray...although I'd have woken my whole house making a coffee at 4am as noisily as you :lol:
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm

naepace wrote:Great stuff Murray...although I'd have woken my whole house making a coffee at 4am as noisily as you :lol:

Ha - that was me making coffee quietly !! ;)
wilkiemurray

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Stunning stuff, as always. A real pleasure :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sat May 26, 2018 9:51 am

Good idea, great result :thumbup: - cheers :)

wilkiemurray wrote:"...soaking in the views...
"........ I had the ideal treat waiting for me at the lodge too after the cold on the tops (see end of video!!) ;)
:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland