walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stunning day to Sgor Gaoith

Stunning day to Sgor Gaoith

Postby Fingal2018 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 30/04/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1020m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are days you won't ever forget. My second ever walk involving a Munro, and I hadn't even planned it that way. Having just arrived in Scotland, and having been up Cairn Gorm and around its fantastic Northern Corries the day before (report to follow), I wanted to take it easy. But the weather forecast and the view outside the window were just too good, so I knew exactly which walk to pick in that weather - Sgor Gaoith :)

The first bit ascending from Glen Feshie was nothing short of delightful, I was almost too busy being stunned and looking around me that I forgot the walking.

IMG_4108.JPG
Looking back to Glen Feshie

For some reason, I decided to do the walk clockwise, digging my teeth...um...feet into the steep slope of Geal Charn to get the bulk of the climbing out of the way. It was reasonably steep for someone new to the Highlands, and my fitness wasn't yet at Highland levels, but still even the climb was very enjoyable as - yes I'll admit it - the heather made for such comfortable rest with stunning views across Strathspey that I took it really easy.

IMG_4117.JPG
Looking down while climbing Geal Charn

Once on the plateau, it was impressive how much wind there still was on such a calm day, but I merrily went past the cairn and onto Meall Buidhe's two summits (hoping I'm attributing these correctly) and into the final climb up to Sgor Gaoith's ridge.

Again, I had read how nice the views could be, but reality once again took my breath away.

IMG_4125.JPG
Loch Eanaich from Sgor Gaoith

IMG_4147.JPG
Looking across towards Carn na Criche

The composition of clouds and patches of snow dotted across the landscape made for an experience that probably cannot be matched anywhere but in Scotland.

IMG_4183.JPG
Happy walker :)

I literally didn't want to leave the summit, basking in the sun. My lovely summit companion, who is lucky enough to live nearby with an equally lucky four-legged hillwalker, unfortunately had to leave earlier than he would have liked to - great to meet you and thanks for the good wishes :D

Eventually, I did leave and go back down, but I think I never took my time as much as I did that day - it was simply perfect and I enjoyed every patch of snow, every rock, every shrub of heather, every bird and every puddle :)

Go raibh maith agat Sgor Gaoith :clap:
Attachments

SgorGaiothActual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fingal2018
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Stunning day to Sgor Gaoith

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

Cracking day for it right enough :thumbup: and congratuations on #1 on Cairn Gorm- cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland