walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day on the Cauldcleuch Head horseshoe

A day on the Cauldcleuch Head horseshoe

Postby Robertgee » Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cauldcleuch Head

Donalds included on this walk: Cauldcleuch Head

Date walked: 14/05/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.25 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2018-05-14 @ 09-04-26.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As the weather was forecast to be sunny & warm all day, I decided to continue my quest to complete the Donalds. This time I was off to do Cauldcleuch Head. To make a longer day out of it, I decided to continue round the ridge returning by Tudhope Hill, a circuit of around 7.6 miles. I parked at the forest entrance & walked along the road to Billhope.

11-Tudhope Hill from Billhope Burn.jpg
Tudhope Hill from Billhope

The lower part of these hills are now part of a new woodland, & have blue topped posts marking paths up on to & around the hills. I left the main track shortly after passing the next house, turning right at a quarry, & followed the good path steeply uphill. The path came to a sudden end, with only a narrow faint path beyond. There weren't any more of the blue posts to be seen. I continued for a bit, but the so called path didn't look like it would get me up the hill, as it just contoured along the hillside to meet the burn. :?

22-Stob Fell.jpg
Stob Fell from the path to nowhere

Enough of this, so I headed straight up to the ridge, where I reckoned there should be a better path to follow. The climb to the ridge was very steep to start, but gradually lessened with height. When I reached the ridge the first thing I saw was the blue posts marking a good path. I missed the point where this path had left the main path, somewhere before it had ended, & I ended up on the path to nowhere. So if following my route, don't miss that important right turn. :lol:

29-View back over South Mid Hill to the hills above Ewes Valley.jpg
View back down the ridge from the good path

I could now follow the posts up onto Stob Fell, where the views over Liddesdale really opened up. :D

34-Liddesdale from Stob Fell.jpg
Liddesdale

35-Greatmoor Hill from Stob Fell.jpg
Greatmoor Hill from Stob Fell

It was then up onto Pennygant Hill where a well deserved break was had. Good places to sit on dry grass or rocks were hard to find along the entire route, but Pennygant Hill had a mini cairn which made a comfy seat. 8)

41-Arkleton Hill from Pennygant Hill.jpg
Arkleton Hill

42-View back to Stob Fell and Din Fell from Pennygant Hill.jpg
Stob Fell from Penntgant Hill

44-Cauldcleuch Head and Muckle Land Knowe from Pennygant Hill.jpg
Cauldcleuch Head from Pennygant Hill's cairn

Continuing, the posts marked an easy route to the next hill, Muckle Land Knowe.

51-Greatmoor Hill from Muckle Land Knowe.jpg
Greatmoor Hill from Muckle Land Knowe

After here, the next section was more boggy with less defined paths, & remained so until Langtae Hill. I initially followed the posts half way to Cauldcleugh Hill, then left them as they don't go to the summit.

58-Tudhope Hill from Cauldcleuch Head.jpg
Tudhope Hill from Cauldcleuch Head

59-Over Skelfhill Pen to Teviotdale from Cauldcleuch Head.jpg
Teviotdale from Cauldcleuch Head

After Cauldcleugh Hill, it's a good walk, though very wet underfoot, all the way to Langtae Hill. The posts were once again met at Footman Hass.

73-Over Footman Hass to Tudhope Hill and Langtae Hill.jpg
Tudhope Hill from Footman Hass

My route next climbed to Langtae Hill, then Millstone Edge, finally reached Tudhope Hill, with the only trig point on the walk.

80-Cauldcleuch Head from Langtae Hill.jpg
Cauldcleuch Head from Langtae Hill

81-Tudhope Hill from Langtae Hill.jpg
Tudhope Hill from Langtae Hill

The posts miss Millstone Edge & go directly to Tudhope Hill from Langtae Hill, so a little shortcut if you need it. Another good spot for a break on Tudhope Hill, with great all round views, especially to Eskdale. From here the weather was so clear, I was able to see all the way to the north Pennines.

99-Teviotdale from Tudhope Hill.jpg
Teviotdale from Tudhope Hill

109-Cauldcleuch Head from Tudhope Hill.jpg
View back to Cauldcleuch Head

117-Arkleton Hill and Eskdale from Tudhope Hill.jpg
Arkleton Hill and Eskdale

120-Din Fell from Tudhope Hill.jpg
The route down from Tudhope Hill

After my rest and a bite to eat, it was straight downhill, back to the car. A brilliant walk, in superb weather. Do this walk on a nice day and you will be well rewarded with a memorable day on the border hills. :clap:

134-Pennygant Hill and Stob Fell.jpg
Pennygant Hill and Stob Fell from back at the start
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Re: A day on the Cauldcleuch Head horseshoe

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:18 pm

I think I will be paying a visit to this route one day when I am down in Kielder at the beginning of October (assuming I can get a day pass). Hopefully I will be rewarded with a similarly nice day for it. :D Your report gives a good feel for what the walk entails.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland