walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Livin' on the Edge!

Livin' on the Edge!

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 22, 2018 3:20 am

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 10/05/2018

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 45 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Lancet Edge (right of centre) 10th May 2018
20180521_233419.jpg

I set off from Dalwhinnie railway crossing on the bike for the long haul into Culra. I didn't have a clear plan having been in this area a few times I have been on most of the tops but not Sgor Lutharn by the Lancet Edge. On approach I could see there was still a bit of snow on Ben Alder and surrounding hills and even though I had an axe I decided I didn't fancy climbing the ridge in deep soft snow so for some reason I thought it would be better to reverse my loosely planned route. :roll:

Ben Alder and Co. from the approach to Loch Pattack
20180510_104421.jpg

Here is the route which I did anti clockwise.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

When cycling in to Culra it is best to cut off before Loch Pattack and take the short cut path which avoids the shoogly bridge and is fairly easy and quicker.
I left the bike at the bothy which has closed asbestos warning notices on it and has done for sometime now :shock: . I rarely use bothies but it would be good to see something done with this one. All doors are still open and I guess it would still be a good option in an emergency.
I climbed up fairly quickly through snow showers and some fairly strong gusts of wind to soon reach the top of Carn Dearg.

Carn Dearg summit cairn with Lancet Edge just to the left of the cairn
20180510_130330.jpg

Onwards to the descent then the climb up on the narrow slightly exposed path up onto Geal Charn where the wind was strong and it was snowing with real poor visibility as I stumbled and fumbled my way to the cairn that marks the summit, it wasn't a time for photos. At this point I had almost given up on the Lancet Edge but decided to go and have a look as I knew their was an escape route off Sgor Lutharn after reading Alteknackers epic report on these hills.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74925
I sauntered down the steep bouldery slopes through some snow patches and started to ascend to Sgor Lutharn.
It was at this point I was surprised to meet three folk who had just come up the ridge. I had met them briefly already at the car, they assured me there was no snow or wind on the ridge and my mind was made up I was going to give it a go.

Probably because I was thinking about the Lancet Edge for the entire trip I had the chorus to the Aerosmith song Livin' on the edge in my head and it is not very inspiring for ridge walking.

"Livin' on the edge
you cant help yourself from fallin'
Livin' on the edge
you cant help yourself at all"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Sgor Lutharn summit and rainbow
20180510_152913.jpg

When surrounded by the far bigger hills it's hard to believe that Sgor Lutharn is over 1000 metres.

I set off for the ridge.

On the odd occasion out on the hills usually by myself I think, "why am I doing this" then other times I see a Golden Eagle soaring, I collapse at a summit cairn surrounded by outstanding views, drink water from a cool mountain stream. Approaching the ridge was another one of these times..... this is what it's all about! 8)

The ridge though airy I found to be fairly easy scrambling even in descent which is often harder. It is similar to the Long Leachas in difficulty and not too exposed though care and concentration is needed, and not a place for Aerosmith songs. :D

The Lancet Edge
20180510_153111.jpg

Lancet Edge again
20180510_153748 (1).jpg

And again
20180510_154902.jpg

One last time :D
20180510_162428 (1).jpg

A short few k back to the bike alongside the river on a great path then the long cycle out.

Only 10 miles to go - back to the civilisation of Dalwhinnie
20180517_191356.jpg

A great trip in a great area, around 28 miles of which 19 were on the bike but its a very good track for cycling though watch out for the Ben Alder estate pick ups, It's a well used road. If anyone is planning to do Geal Charn the Lancet Edge is probably the best route but I imagine even better on ascent and pick a different song to sing on the way up. :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Livin' on the Edge!

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 22, 2018 12:30 pm

That looked good :thumbup: - great day for it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 pm

SOme excellent images there, proving what a great, wild, part of the world this is!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu May 24, 2018 11:31 pm

rockhopper wrote:That looked good :thumbup: - great day for it - cheers :)

Cheers RH yes the weather been good and looking even better than it has for a while. :D

Mal Grey wrote:SOme excellent images there, proving what a great, wild, part of the world this is!

Cheers Mal. Aye a great area I will definately be back again. Real feeling of remoteness. :D
Sunset tripper

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland