walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Number 55 and 56 - Bikes and Hikes

Number 55 and 56 - Bikes and Hikes

Postby craigthe5th » Tue May 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 20/05/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 878m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our day out was a Sunday, all week had been full of sunny, beautiful days. However, the forecast for our day slipped, it was to be dry but cloudy. To be honest it was probably better than cooking in the sun for what was marked as 8-10 hours.

We started the usual 6am and headed off to the Cairngorms. I was looking forward to it as it was a rare chance for us to take the bikes. We had walked this route in before when completing Ben Macdui and I remember wanting to chop my feet off on the way back!

So we arrived at the care park (didn't have enough change for the parking!), unloaded the bikes and headed off on the 4.5 mile cycle to Derry Lodge - where the walk description advised to leave the bikes. We got there and Fras had read we could take the bikes further to the point we started the circular part of the walk. We cycled further (bumpy track) but made it. We unloaded the bikes and started the hike.

It was a bit boggy to start and quite a boring walk with nothing exciting to see so we slogged up. After a while we made it to the top of Beinn Bhreac for a quick pic then moved on.

Being really mature at the top

From there is was a loooong boooooring walk to number 56. We trundled along quite the thing then headed on our ascent. Nothing exciting again, but we got to the top. It was cloudy and very windy but we hid behind the cairn for a spot of lunch. Luckily views came and went between bits of cloud so wasn't all lost.

56 Munros in the bag!

Time to head home from here, the decent was quite easy and not too steep, however we got to a boggy patch on the way down, Fraser slipped on the bog and slid about 5 meters down. I was creasing myself! Then I slipped and fell on my arse too!

A nice spot on the way back to the bikes

From this point we joined a path which would take us back to the bikes. It was a good few miles but we had the chat and quiet times, one foot in front of the other was all we needed to get back to the bikes. We got back to the bikes, had another bite to eat then headed off home... until Frasers bike chain broke after 2 mins!!

I could have cried as I didn't want to walk all that way back when my bike was perfectly fine! He was trying to fix it but was struggling. Then after a few more mins to guys passed us, one asked if we had the right tool to fix the chain which we didn't and he offered to fix it!! I cycled back and Fraser scooted on his bike and we waited about 5 minutes for the guys to catch up. Another 5 mins and the chain was fixed!!! Neve rhad such luck in my life!!! An enjoyable cycle of 4 miles back to the car, then home time.

I dropped Fraser off in Blairgowrie on the way home for a BBQ at his in-laws. I dropped his car at his house then cycled home (Bad idea!!!) All in all, another good day out in the hills
craigthe5th
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland