walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rough Bounds round of 5/3/1 in tropical weather

Rough Bounds round of 5/3/1 in tropical weather

by Alteknacker » Wed May 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gairich, Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich), Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Aden, Sgùrr an Fhuarain, Sgùrr Mhurlagain

Date walked: 18/05/2018

Time taken: 27 hours

Distance: 51.9 km

Ascent: 4660m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Rough Bounds round of 5/3/1 in tropical weather

Postby mamoset » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Fantastic :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Jaxter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Brilliant stuff :clap: :clap: I've got a big route planned for this area, I'll try not to underestimate it :lol:

I remember the first time I carried a big pack in recent times I completely forgot that it would slow me down....37km, 2000m ascent and 6 munros later I decided that day 2 would be a bit more relaxing :roll: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:41 am

An inspirational report with some wonderful panoramas (will have to view on my big monitor tomorrow). As ever you hit the nail on the head as regards all things hill walking, thanks for sharing. :clap: :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:40 pm

mamoset wrote:Fantastic :clap:

Thanks mamoset. As usual, it's the place rather than the reporter/photographer.

Jaxter wrote:Brilliant stuff :clap: :clap: I've got a big route planned for this area, I'll try not to underestimate it :lol:

I remember the first time I carried a big pack in recent times I completely forgot that it would slow me down....37km, 2000m ascent and 6 munros later I decided that day 2 would be a bit more relaxing :roll: :lol:

Thanks Jaxter. After this experience, I'm quite sure I wouldn't manage 37km/2000m ascent in a day with a big sac - you must be taking a big shot of spinach before you set off :D . My excuse is old age :D .

Curious about your big route, and await a report on the same with considerable interest and anticipation!

johnkaysleftleg wrote:An inspirational report with some wonderful panoramas (will have to view on my big monitor tomorrow). As ever you hit the nail on the head as regards all things hill walking, thanks for sharing. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the kind words, JKLL. I'm very happy if the panos give a bit of a flavour of how splendid it was out there.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Great report and photos of a brilliant area, well done :clap: :clap:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Glad I found this report :D that's quite walk you have done and walking with a big backpack was and is always one of my love/hate relationships. Great to have the opportunity to cover a big area and camp whenever you like and feel wonderfully free... But the weight of it is something else. :roll: lol. It somehow never gets easier... :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 am

Epic stuff yet again...and that pack, ooft :crazy: :shock: :lol:

Good advice regarding Ben Aden :thumbup:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:08 pm

A most enjoyable read - and photos are exceptional. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:24 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Great report and photos of a brilliant area, well done :clap: :clap:

Thanks spiderweb - it surely is a brilliant area - one of the absolute best!

dogplodder wrote:A most enjoyable read - and photos are exceptional. :clap:

Thanks DP. As I keep saying: if the area's brilliant, even point-and-click folk like me can manage a few reasonable pics.

dooterbang wrote:Epic stuff yet again...and that pack, ooft :crazy: :shock: :lol:

Good advice regarding Ben Aden :thumbup:

Yes, the pack was... ... interesting!

If I were to do BA again from the west side, I would spend a fair bit of time looking at photies to pick out a good route. It's definitely doable, but not everywhere!

Mountainlove wrote:Glad I found this report :D that's quite walk you have done and walking with a big backpack was and is always one of my love/hate relationships. Great to have the opportunity to cover a big area and camp whenever you like and feel wonderfully free... But the weight of it is something else. :roll: lol. It somehow never gets easier... :lol:

That's good to hear. You're always smiling broadly in pics in your WHRs, as if you haven't a care in the world, even when it looks like you're carrying everything you possibly can on your back, including the proverbial kitchen sink :D. I felt very wimpish in comparison...

I'm still looking at the north Glen Shiel ridge, trying to decide whether to do an overnighter as you did, or try to blitz it...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby goingforawii » Mon May 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Fantastic trip here! Well done! :clap: Looking to forward to doing this route in the coming weeks hopefully...

...how does this sound though on making it a Munro heavy trip though?? :D I think at 42 miles and 6218m of ascent... it may be too much in a day... :crazy:

LochArkaig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Woohooo! Great report!
A very very very thorough experience of the roughness of these hills. And lots of suffering peppers the report :clap: :lol:
Nothing like multi-day treks.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm

goingforawii wrote:Fantastic trip here! Well done! :clap: Looking to forward to doing this route in the coming weeks hopefully...

...how does this sound though on making it a Munro heavy trip though?? :D I think at 42 miles and 6218m of ascent... it may be too much in a day... :crazy:

Thanks for the kind words. Have you done your route yet? It sounds a heck of a challenge for a single day (especially the amount of ascent) but I'm sure it would be wonderful, and with the big routes you've done so far, not outwith the bounds of possibility at all!

Klaasloopt wrote:Woohooo! Great report!
A very very very thorough experience of the roughness of these hills. And lots of suffering peppers the report :clap: :lol:
Nothing like multi-day treks.

Not in the same league as your multi-day treks.... :roll:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby steviesea » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm

:clap: Absolutely loved this report. The outstanding views captured by your photos along with your journey description really gave a feeling for the area which, sadly I've not (yet) visited but looked out of this world. Laughed how you call your binoculars "bird scarers". I've always thought the same of my camera/phone.
Your feelings of exhaustion must have just been a blip because your stats at the end of the day were still impressive
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland