walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Confused

Confused

Postby EricPolymath » Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Date walked: 16/05/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The directions for this walk are inconsistent - stages 1 to 4 are written such that even the most inexperienced hill walker can follow them, then at stage 5 suddenly you're on your own and advised to make a "beeline" for a small cairn that is obviously far too far away to be observed from your current position. This annoyed me to the extent that I just turned round and went back the way I had come.

That said the views of Loch Lomond and surrounding countryside made the walk worthwhile.
EricPolymath
Mountaineer

Re: Confused

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 24, 2018 10:50 am

Hmm. I think you may need to adjust your expectations with respect to walk descriptions: they are not intended to be a replacement for self-reliance or the ability to navigate with a map and compass, especially once you are on high ground.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby walkingpoles » Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm

I haven't been up that hill, but chances are it's quite impossible to give an easy foolproof description to the summit (as with most summits), and you shouldn't expect one. Get a map and compass, and hiking boots in case you weren't wearing any, and try again. You won't regret.

Also, we all have made navigation mistakes in our career as hill lovers. Things don't always go smoothly up there. That's part of it.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Mal Grey » Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 pm

I'm also Confused. Having had a quick look at the map, even though I don't know the hill at all, the directions make perfect sense and the route obvious. I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with navigating, apologies if not, and nothing to be ashamed of.

If you're not a confident map reader, its not only a totally essential skill for hillwalking, but also a really good way of learning about the countryside around you, and I'd highly recommend reading up on it or even going on a course. Maps open your eyes to the potential adventures all around you, and are a key tool to then carrying them out. The Ordnance Survey website has some good starting points, their Guides section having some good "how to" stuff: https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/filter/?activity=beginners-guide
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Tinto63 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Polymath (definition):- a person of wide knowledge and learning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland