walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 days on Skye

5 days on Skye

Postby Coop » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Blà Bheinn, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 25/05/2018

Time taken: 37.75 hours

Distance: 66.8 km

Ascent: 6315m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wow is all I'll say just now.

Figures for ascent and distance are maybe a bit less than should be.

Sunday night- arrive and check in at Glenbrittle YH - Meet up with the group in Carbost - sort kit out for next day.
Weather wasn't looking good for Monday. The guides rearranged things a little and we were still going up. Ya beauty

Day 1 Monday 21st Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh and Sgurr a' Mhadaidh .
Rained all day. Waterfalls and water flowing down the slabs were impressive. Up to An Dorus, turn right- a couple of scrambles and the summit is reached. Back to An dorus and straight up to the 2nd summit. Traverse down and round and pick up the poles we had left and the wet walk out. No great views today - no views really!!

Day 2 Tuesday Sgurr nan Eag, Sgurr Dhubh Mor and Sgurr Alisdair
From the campsite it was up Coire a Ghrunnda and onto loch Coire a Ghrunnda. Went right and up to Sgurr nan Eag. Back down a bit to the beallach and round the base of Csisteal. Dodgy slabby bit to overcome then theres a bit of s scree gulley which I believe you can go up. We went scross it and scrambled a fair bit to the summit.
Down round and up to the cave by Sgurr Alisdair. Then a fair chimney to get up to the summit of Sgurr Alisdair. Dont start celebraring yet. Had to get back down yet

And so it had come - The Great Stone Chute - get down in one piece and enjoy your days achievements by the wee lochan!

Day 3 Sgurr Mhicchonnich The Inn Pinn and Sgurr Bannadicht
The day of the pinn had arrived!!!
I think i was more bothered about Sgurr mhic Choinnich We ascended to the left of the Am Stac scree hugging the rockface. With expert guidance we reached the summit- very small summit of Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, before retracing our steps and heading up the brown slabs leading to the base of the In Pinn. Waited our turn and Graeme and myself went up negotiating the dodgy crossover looking for the excellent footholds :shock:
So relieved and overjoyed to get to the summit. I could have sat there all day but an abseil down awaited. Back down to the group- congratulations all round and headed down snd contoured round and up to Sguŕr na Bannachdicht. Fairly straight forward descent back down to the YH where a couple of us drove the others to the campsite so they could pick up their cars

Day 4 Thursday - Sgurr Nan Gillean, Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe.
Weather-sunshine - lots of .
Went up to the beallach and then up the West Ridge of Sgurr Nan Gillean. Abseil back down part of it. Toughest Munro of them all- in my book!!!
and then it was up the East Ridge of Am Basteir, bypassing under the bad step and onto the summit via some slabs!!
Then back to the beallach and under the north face of Am Basteir and the Tooth. But of snow in Coire a’ Bhastier, not too bad - fairly soft with tracks going across. Headed up to Bruach na Frithe. Well earned break and 10 mins to let the fact that thats the Cullins done sink in
Back down via Fionn Choire and into Sligagachan.
Farewells and best wishes all round done.
Big shout out to Steve Fallon Mountain guides featuring Ken and Steve from West Coast Guides.
Respect and cheers to you both. :clap:

Decided to stay an extra night. I was going to go to Glenfinnan and do Sgurr nan coinereachan but staying on Skye an extra night won. Gillie was heading to another island on a ferry at half 6 so he had stayed as well:

Day 5 Friday 25th Bla Bheinn

Just me and Gillie today. Felt like a tornado blowing around the YH as I set off but when I got to Bla Bheinn car park - no wind, another glorious day. Great path all the way where we branched off right and headed directly up to the summit cairn and trig.
Some haar was around on and off sitting around 850m views on and off of the whole Cullins. Bite to eat and headed back down - 4 1/2 hrs at a leisurely pace.
And so it had come- goodby to Skye for the time being and a long drive back. Kintail, Nevis range Glencoe - not a bad drive eh with decent views all round.

My - if youre interested Top tip book

Gaiters were only needed on my 1st day as it poured it down. After that they weren't worn.
Fill your pockets with small snacks and top yourself up with energy regularly
Take some gardening/builders /gloves. The rock will leave your gucchi glives with many holes!
Last but not least which goes without really saying - make sure you've got good foot and hand holds -
savour and enjoy :D

As the big man said to me - Respect the Mountain Gods :wink:
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland