walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ATHOLL/LUDE MARCH STONES

ATHOLL/LUDE MARCH STONES

Postby Jim777 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Date walked: 24/05/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 536m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This may not look like a very exciting walk unless you are there with a purpose - and I was - for the fourth time. A few years ago I read a book called The Living Wilderness - Atholl Deer Forests which gave a description, from 1763, of the border between the Seven Shielings and Lude Forests. This is high up in Glen Brerachan, North East of Ben Vrackie and South South West of Ben Vuirich. It states "From a stone or large boulder on Craiglachanach marked AL1 in a straight line running SW to a point in the Water of Brerachan where a stone marked AL2 has been set up at my sight on the left bank of said water from thence up the said Water of Brerachan to the N side of Stronadrium to a large stone at the waterside marked AL3 from thence in a straight line one hundred and fifty seven yards WNW to a stone at the foot of Druiminigach marked AL4 from there in a straight line seven hundred and seven yards N by E past a stone marked AL5 to a stone in a hollow at the foot of Knockvalon marked AL6 from thence in a straight line five hundred and seventy NE to a rock marked on top thereof AL7 from thence in a straight line five hundred and fifty yards N by E to a rock marked AL8 and from thence in a straight line to the top of Knockbreakmore"
As you can possibly gather I am up there trying to find these rocks. The walk starts from grid NN993623 and heads North downhill to the Brerachan Water. The burn is crossed close to a small waterfall.
2018-05-17 BRERACHAN 3 002 WH.jpg
Small waterfall

Shortly after crossing the Brerachan Water a rather shoogly looking bridge is passed.
2017-08-09 GLEN BRERACHAN 005 WH.jpg
Shoogly Bridge

2017-08-09 GLEN BRERACHAN 041 WH.jpg
Shoogly bridge II

I gained some height to stay away from the burn as it became quite steep sided. Once past the Northern edge of the forest on the opposite side of the burn I started to slowly descend back towards the water. On the opposite side of the water is the first of many large erratics which litter this area.
2018-05-24 BRERACHAN 4 024 WH.jpg
Rather large erratic

Shortly after this rather large boulder I found AL2 at grid NN 980 654.
2018-05-24 BRERACHAN 4 006 WH.jpg
AL2 March stone

Just slightly further on at grid NN 979 656 I found what I think is the remains of Stronadrium.
2018-05-17 BRERACHAN 3 017 WH.jpg
Stronadrium ?

I followed the water up past Stronadrium as far as the col between Crochton and Cnoc Dubh but could not find a stone marked AL3. I decided on the return to look for AL4 instead. I reckoned that the 157yds/143m in a WNW direction from the water would equate to approximately 120m. So I headed back to Stronadrium trying to keep approximately 120m from the water. So I searched the entire E side of Cnoc Dubh for AL4 but with no joy. A thought came to me that if AL2, which I had found, was exactly as stated and in a straight line SW from AL1 then if I reversed it I may be able to find AL1. I went back to stone AL2 and headed NE uphill to the col between Creag Chlacharnach and Crungie Clach. From there I scoured the lower slopes of Creag Chlacharnach looking for AL1 but again with no joy. The problem in this area is the amount of erratics, boulders left over from the retreating glaciers in a bygone age. This last time just for a change I returned back over Crungie Clach and Crungie Dubh rather than just coming back down the glen.
2018-05-17 BRERACHAN 3 030 WH.jpg
Looking from Crungie Clach to Creag Chlacharnach with Beinn a' Ghlo range in the background

2018-05-17 BRERACHAN 3 043 WH.jpg
Looking from Crungie Dubh towards Creag Chlacharnach and Ben Vuirich

It does not help that since 1763 names have changed and there is now no Druiminagach (ridge!) or Knockvalon marked on the maps.
Anyone been in this area before and can give any advice it would be most welcome :D
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland