walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Corbetts from Lochan na Lairige

Two Corbetts from Lochan na Lairige

Postby iainR » Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag, Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 18.3 km

Ascent: 1159m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall nam Maigheach and Beinn nan Oighreag were a pair of Corbetts i had always wanted to bag having seen them from the Munros i'd climbed between Loch Tay and Glen Lyon over the years. Everything i'd read about them suggested very boggy conditions especially Meall nam Maigheach so the recent extended dry spell made the decision for me.
Making a relatively early start and accompanied once more by Big Jie we reached Killin by 10 am only to be held back by a large cycling event going up the single lane Ben Lawers road. Averaging 5 miles per hour we eventually parked up at the head of Lochan na Lairige unwilling to risk the chances of finding a parking space further up that narrow road.
We began the walk up Meall nam Maigheach at the large cairn above the road up from the reservoir and found the going rough but dry with the boggy areas more spongy than wet so we made good time reaching the summit exactly an hour after leaving the car. The views of the Lawers Munros and the Tarmachan Ridge were the highlights here and we got our first good look at the next Corbett of the day, Beinn nan Oighreag.
1 Lochan na Lairige 2018__.jpg
Lochan na Lairige

2 Ascending Meall nam Maigheach__.jpg
Ascending Meall nam Maigheach

3 Summit of Meall nam Maigheach__.jpg
Summit cairn with Beinn nan Oighreag in the distance

4 Lochan na Lairige from Meall nam Maigheach__.jpg
Looking back to the start

Following a drystane dyke we descended steeply back down to the road and set off further down the glen towards the access for Beinn nan Oighreag which began by crossing a footbridge over the Allt Baile a' Mhuilinn.
By now the sun was really beating down and the temperature was probably reaching a daytime high so the initial steep ascent of the hill was a bit of a struggle although an ATV track made things easier and straightforward as we followed this all the way to the summit which we reached a couple of hours after leaving the footbridge but this did include a lunch break.
5 Descending Meall nam Maigheach__.jpg
Descending Meall nam Maigheach

6 Footbridge over Allt Baile a' Mhuilinn__.jpg
Footbridge over the Allt Baile a'Mhuilinn

7 Meall nam Maigheach__.jpg
Meall nam Maigheach

8 ATV track on Beinn nan Oighreag__.jpg
The ATV track on Beinn nan Oighreag

11 Summit of Beinn nan Oighreag__.jpg
Summit of Beinn nan Oighreag

The main highlight from Beinn nan Oighreag had to be Meall Ghaordaidh but there were also great views of the Tarmachans as well as the Munros above Loch an Daimh which Big Jie and i had climbed a couple of years ago.
I'd read that Beinn nan Oighreag was a hill of many false summits which was so true but in weather like this it was worth every step.
10 Meall Ghaordaidh from Beinn nan Oighreag__.jpg
Meall Ghaordaidh

9 Munros above Loch an Daimh__.jpg
Loch an Daimh

The return journey involved retracing our route down to the road then following it all the way to the car which was a real slog in the sun and heat but walking on the tarmac was faster despite our hill footwear and knowing that we'd bagged a couple of normally boggy Corbetts with dry feet was the added bonus to a great day on the hills.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland