walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monroe to Marilyn

Monroe to Marilyn

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Larriston Fell

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 385m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In case you are puzzled about the title, I always try and come up with something different, don't always succeed but I usually spend most of the walk trying to come up with something. As Larriston isn't particularly exciting so I had to try and attract readers another way. My last outing was a couple of Munro's near Dalmally, hence Munro to Marilyn.

Left Cheshire at 8am with the idea of beating all the 'Bank Holiday' drivers, I suppose it worked but the M6 was busier northbound than I have ever seen it. The quantity of traffic reduced quite a bit after passing the Lake District.
My plan was to tackle Larriston Fell, then after a brief drive Blackwood Hill, was a good plan until I discovered that my Camelback had leaked in my rucksack leaving me with hardly any juice.
Having read Inca's report I was going to follow his route and as I knew there was a track up to the mast I had my bike in the back of the car.
Parking is rather limited, in fact more improvised.

Improvised parking and bike all ready to be cycled for a few metres, then pushed for 4km

The way ahead

The bike was certainly a hindrance on the ascent only cycled about 100m, the rest of the time I was pushing it. The ascent on the track isn't steep but it is fairly constant.

Look carefully, you can see the mast in the distance

Looking back with plenty of timber ready to be uplifted

Looking back from a bit higher up

Looks like they missed a tree, kind of stands out a bit

Plenty of wood chippings, not quite sure why they are there, possibly been bagged up for resale

After the wood chippings, the track reduces in size, still pretty good

The way ahead, nearly above the forest line

Rather odd area near the mast, large concrete slabs, possibly ex military, not sure why there is a crash barrier?

The mast and the way ahead

Nice spot to park my bike, didn't even bother to lock it, hope it appreciated the good view

I stopped a few times as the sun was beating down and I was overheating rather alot and I finished what was left of my juice just before I reached the mast. Inca mentioned the walk from the mast to the summit and it wasn't what I would describe as enjoyable. Whilst trampling across the tussocky knee deep heather and grass I likened it to walking in snow, I had no idea how far my boot was going down and it isn't fun lifting my feet higher than usual. Luckily the heather was bone dry, there are a few patches that look like they hold plenty of water when the time arrives. I was in my Salomon boots as I knew the ground would be dry.

Now the real fun began, I doubt if anyone enjoys walking through knee deep heather and tussocky grass

Looking back to the mast

And here it is the summit trig on Larriston Fell

Looking back to the mast

Selfie with my phone

The summit was a welcome relief but the summit area covers a huge area which doesn't make for decent photo's.
The trudge back to the mast for some strange reason seemed much easier, maybe it is psychological and the bike was still where I left it.

Back at the bike and still no sign of anyone else

Now for the descent, I am anything but a cyclist and having a bike without suspension is absolute torture. The good thing was I didn't have to pedal at all on the descent, gravity did all the work for me. It literally took me 20mins and I was literally shaken almost to bits. I would imagine a proper cyclist on a decent bike could descend in less than 10mins.
When I arrived back at the car I had already made up my mind to head home rather than tackle Blackwood Hill. Walking up a hill in the baking sunshine would be stupid, so decision was made. I will endeavour to visit Blackwood next month on my return home from my next trip down south.
This was my first time using 'Smugmug' to upload my photo's, I have to say it was by much better than any other method I have tried. They 10 million dollar question, would I return to Larriston Fell and like previous visitors and am sorry to say that is a negative.
For any future visitors if you have a bike and don't mind pushing it uphill, the descent can be supersonic.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland