walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Benderloch calling

Benderloch calling

Postby Benaden887 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Creran), Beinn Mheadhonach, Beinn Molurgainn

Date walked: 19/05/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17.3 km

Ascent: 1450m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Benderloch calling 17.3km 1450m 8h 19/05/2018
Mam Hael Beinn Molurgainn Beinn Mheadhonach

This w/e forecast being good, I `m heading to Connel Bridge to do these Benderloch Grahams. Some 2.5h later in Gleann Salach I squeeze in beside a smart looking camper van at NM985367 and gear up. I go thro a gate to follow a ATV track uphill, until I realise that it drops towards the Esragan glen. A compass check puts me back on course and soon hill and crags rise from the rough ground. Locate the lochan to follow a dry watercourse up thro crags to the large cairn of Beinn Bhreac @708m. Rest here. Great views over the Cruachan hills, lochs and glens. I munch a roll and drink. Being the OS coverage of this Graham trio requires 3 separate maps, I pull out and view my A4 printed map pages, c/o WalkHighlands. The large lump in the distance I thought was my top, turns out to be the Corbett of Creach Beinn. I look over my proposed route, hmm - It looks a fair distance, I have to remind myself that Id walked as much over my Inchree outing. My way winds down across a lochan area then up rock for the true summit @726m. The gully on Creach Beinn looks awesome. A further km, then a quick down an up shows the cairn of Beinn Molurgainn @690m. A man and woman appear wearer trainers having just done the Corbett. I’m impressed, a brief chat as we consider the route to the last graham. My intention had been - to bypass all of Meall Dearc tops by crossing the Eas a` Chrinlet coire @ NN015386 - the basin and skirt the crags on the 400mtr contour before catching the outflow of lochan Bealach Carra. Being I was moving slower than Id like, I knew they would pull me along so hung onto their slipstream as we shorted my route by climbing a corner of Meall Dearc before dropping to the lochan. The long 280mt climb to the top of BeinnMheadonach was tiresome but we all made it to the top @715m as did another walker who just arrived. A bite and swallow then goodbyes as my shepherds left to pick up Beinn Durinnis. The new guy and I headed for point 619m. Where he, seeing a track heading N in the glen below also waved goodbye.
I followed the SMC route – purely to see how long it would actually take me.
Drop to point 387m, a wee cairn, then steep grass, and thro two fields to reach the road. A long walk uphill was lessened by a lift from my later walk mate who kindly picked me up and ran me back to my car.
All in an excellent day, most folk I`ve seen on my hill this year.
Seen en route – 3folk Deer sheep bird’s frogs lizards.
Nice area complete with a bus route.
Glad to clear this wee corner of my map.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland