walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back to Loch Callater - got there this time!

Back to Loch Callater - got there this time!

Postby KatTai » Tue May 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Route description: Loch Callater near Braemar

Date walked: 29/05/2018

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 14 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I first went to Loch Callater several years ago before Moss joined our family, but on reaching the loch the gates were locked and I had no way of getting my dogs over the fence so we went all the way back without getting to the loch. So I was a bit put-off ever bothering to return but today the weather was so nice, it is my birthday and a nice loch walk sounded like a very good option. My usual loch of choice would be Loch Muick but I figured that would be mobbed and I have plans for Dubh Loch so didn't want to go there from Loch Muick, so I decided to give Loch Callater a second chance. It's a nice drive up through Glen Shee and there were only a handful of cars at the car park despite the glorious weather I only saw a handful of people and a couple of those were working on the estate. We set off following the track up the glen and just beyond the gate we were given a welcome by a pair of Ring Ouzels. Not a bad way to start a walk!

2.jpg
Hello to you too!

Further on a green beetle caught my attention. I should know what these are called, I have looked it up before, but I can't remember!

3.jpg

There was a nice bit to get down to the river so Moss got her first splash around of the day. It was hot so she was given plenty of opportunity to go down to the river or one of the burns that were still flowing , sometimes she did sometimes she didn't but she does love the water so usually she'll go for a paddle.

10.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

Continuing on we were obviously passing through an area curlew were using to nest in. A couple kept flying passed us calling away to each other. Definitely a keep to the path area! Curlew have declined dramatically so it is good to see that there were at least a few pairs up there, red deer were spotted as well high up on the hill.

14.jpg

15.jpg

We reached Callater Loch Lodge and followed the track round to the gate which was open, yay! Not that it would have been an issue if it was locked, someone has cut a hole in the wire that is big enough to let a medium sized dog though. Whether it will be closed up or not I don't know, but there is a stile further along and another hole cut in the wire there too. As we approached the loch we were surrounded by clouds of mayflies so picked up the pace a bit to get away from them and headed towards a nice beach where Moss could have a swim. There were only another couple of people camping by the lodge.

17.jpg
Perfect place for a swim!

33.jpg

The track was nice and dry, so we followed it along to the far end of the loch. I could see the landrover track that we could take on the other side and I was tempted to cross the now very shallow river, if I was in my boots it would have been easy to cross without needing to take my boots off, but I was in my trail shoes. The other side didn't look quite so appealing either with the route going above the loch and fewer spots to get down to the water so we returned the same way stopping for another swim at the nice beach. Overall a lovely walk, and I can see myself making this a regular choice! It is helped by the fact that even if the gate is locked and the hole in the fence gone, Moss would have no trouble jumping over the fence :lol:

27.jpg

24.jpg
Tip of the dogs tail
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland