walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chreagach (North Skye)

Beinn Chreagach (North Skye)

Postby thepigguy » Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Chreagach (Skye)

Date walked: 18/05/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.69 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Someone else on Walkhighlands said every hill deserves a report. True, but Beinn Chreagach is really pushing its luck. It's a tough little so-and-so.

I parked at the layby at a high point on the main Portree-Dunvegan road, assuming it would be a 'straight up-cross Beinn na Boineide-stroll over to Beinn Chreagach' sort of trip. It was - sort of.

The ground is tough. Even after a dry spell I managed to find some seriously boggy bits amidst all the long grass and knee-deep heather.

Anyway, long story short. I battled my way straight up the slopes of Sron nan Aighean, then went northwesterly to Beinn na Boineide, where views over Trotternish Ridge, MacLeod's Tables and to the Cuillins made the effort worthwhile, although the sight of nearby Beinn Bhreac was a reminder that a better choice of hill could have been made.

The direct walk from there over to Beinn Chreageach involved losing a fair amount of height, so I skirted round a couple of minor summits, through peat hags and finally up to the cairn at the top, the last 10m of the walk up being really rather pleasant.

After a fairly lengthy stay at the top to enjoy the views and feel pleased with myself that I'd made it, I started down in a roughly northerly direction to avoid the crags, skirted round and, using a variety of sheep paths, reached a burn which made for far easier walking. Anyone else wanting to climb the hill would do well to start up along the burn about a kilometre from the Waternish cattle grid.

Once back on the road it was a long haul back to the car, but the tarmac made a pleasant change - not often I say that!

bc1.jpg
Initial ascent - just as annoying as it looks

bc2.jpg
MacLeod's Tables from the slopes of Beinn nan Bioneide

bc3.jpg
Makes a nice photo, but hard work finding a dry way around it

bc7.jpg
Summit of Beinn Chreagach

bc6.jpg
Worth the effort. Trotternish ridge from Beinn Chreageach.

bc10.jpg
Some easier walking on the way down

bc11.jpg
Never been so pleased to see tarmac!
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland