walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Affric debut: Sod this Mam! - epic Fail!

Glen Affric debut: Sod this Mam! - epic Fail!

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Màm Sodhail

Date walked: 21/07/2017

Time taken: 8.4 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I reckon 10 months is long enough to have gotten over the utter debacle that was my first walk in Glen Affric and get this report off my chest! :roll:

Even after a couple of very fine outings in the course of the last two days, this was to have been the jewel in the crown of my four day summer highland "tour" 2017. I had never walked in Glen Affric before, indeed I had never even been in Glen Affric before, and it was non negotiable as far as these four days were concerned. I had spent a fine first day doing three different routes, the highlight being Gairich, and on the second day I had been seduced by the lure of a day in the Red Cuilin on Skye. With only two days left, I knew I had better get my skates on and start heading down Affric way.

IMG_6925_zps1oqiuqrk.JPG
Photo opporchancity on the drive in along Loch Beinn a'Mheadhoin

I pulled into the big parking area at the end of the public road where there were already quite a few vehicles parked up, sporting plates from an array of different countries. Almost as many people as there were vehicles seemed to be wandering around the car park engaged in various morning activities, all (or at least all those without nets on their heads) vigorously waving their arms about themselves trying to fend off the dreaded midge.

I quickly got my s**t together and headed along the track towards the lodge and the start of the ascent up onto Sgurr na Lapaich.

IMG_6930_zpssobnsidt.JPG
The Lodge

IMG_6931_zpsiabrxqfv.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich through the pines

The day started very positively and it stayed fine up to the summit of Sgurr na Lapaich and a good part of the way along the ridge towards Mam Sodhail before the wheels came off and it tuned, quite frankly, to sh*t*!

IMG_6934_zpsm8s2x6kb.JPG
Down the long gradual ascent shoulder of Sgurr na Lapaich

IMG_6938_zpsj4rbvamw.JPG
The head of Loch Affric and some big surrounding peaks

IMG_6940_zpsuwcpcend.JPG
Approaching the summit of Sgurr na Lapaich

IMG_6942_zpsln44m9bq.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich summit with the guts of my intended route filling the background

IMG_6948_zpscitxnjdd.JPG
The ridge from Sgurr na Lapaich to Mam Sodhail

IMG_6949_zpssuuaxqhq.JPG
Looking back to Sgurr na Lapaich

By the time I reached the huge hollowed out cairn on the summit of Sodhail, I was in a pea souper. I jumped into the cairn and hunkered down for lunch and to wait on it clearing. Two and a bit hours later and it was no better. If anything it was worse. I knew I was but a short distance from the summit of Carn Eige and could even have managed the long detour out to Beinn Fhionnlaidh but what the hell would have been the point!

IMG_6954_zpsryhl29r2.JPG
Mam Sodhail and Carn Eige

IMG_6955_zpspi0zttd3.JPG
Loch Uaine beginning to put in an appearance

IMG_6956_zpsohtraqa3.JPG
The full ridge stretching back to Sgurr na Lapaich

IMG_6957_zpslmwwu28f.JPG
Clagging in over Loch Uaine

IMG_6958_zpsr8lx05ci.JPG
Not my finest hour in the hills!

IMG_6961_zpsvasqplxp.JPG
Substantial cairn and my home for an hour or two!

Regrettably I got packed up and made the long, sombre return journey the way I had come, deviating only to make a very reckless and ill judged attempt (born of sheer frustration) to take a short cut off Sgurr na Lapaich down a steep rocky chimney, before realising I was in a very dangerous and precarious situation regardless of whether I carried on down or bailed out and tried to re-ascend. In the end I managed to do the latter and walked in an even more foul mood than before back to the car. Things did improve once I had lost enough height to drop below the clag but the damage had been done and my first Affric experience had been a pretty miserable one! :(

IMG_6962_zpskyuobriq.JPG
Beating a miserable retreat

IMG_6963_zpszuo3gc59.JPG
Almost back at Sgurr na Lapaich and glimpses of some views once again

IMG_6966_zpsxiicn5rf.JPG
I wonder if it would be a good idea to go down there???!!!

IMG_6968_zpszq43tbpm.JPG
With hindsight, perhaps not!

IMG_6970_zpsbsp0ztyz.JPG
The Garbh uisge - almost back at the car

IMG_6971_zpsvv7kvinl.JPG
Some consolation courtesy of Fiddlers in Drumnadrochit!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Glen Affric debut: Sod this Mam! - epic Fail!

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 30, 2018 6:28 pm

we also renamed this peak Mam Sod-it after being blown literally over just 100 vertical metres below the summit 2y ago. we went back last May and had a fabulous day - but I ended up with a bad leg afterwards and out of action for six weeks!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Glen Affric debut: Sod this Mam! - epic Fail!

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Commiserations for the day in Affric - but at least it ended well, with one of the finest beers in the land - at least if the legend on the glass was the brew in the glass :lol: :lol:

Sadly your tale chimes only too well with our current experiences ... :(
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland