walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Camusdarach

Camusdarach

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu May 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Route description: Camusdarach Beach

Date walked: 24/05/2018

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a there-and-back along the magnificent Grey Corries ridge, I wanted an easy day. I had never been to the Morar district, so I decided to explore some of it, by means of three of the short walks suggested on WH - Camusdarach, Loch Morar and Port na Murrach.

Scenery on the drive west from Fort William was superb. This little bay on Loch nan Uamh, just before the Prince's Cairn, was one of the highlights of the journey.

ImageIMG_4226 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4215 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4224 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Super-clear water

ImageIMG_4225 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I then had breakfast at the rather excellent Seamen's Mission cafe in Mallaig, and a mooch round the harbour.

ImageIMG_4253 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4237 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4239 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Iconic Scots brands alive and kicking in Mallaig

ImageIMG_4248 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4251 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Then I drove back along the A830 and turned off along the estuary of the River Morar, stopping for a few minutes to look at the famous white sands. I had them all to myself, but when I passed this spot later in the day it was crowded with sunbathers.

ImageIMG_4256 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I drove on to the little car park, and walked along the charming lane towards Camusdarach. The path quickly became sandy and coastal.

ImageIMG_4273 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back inland from the path, towards the hills south of Loch Morar.

ImageIMG_4440 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I emerged on the beach. A stunning place of beauty - and solitude, even on this warm day.

ImageIMG_4279 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Rum and Eigg were mere hazy blue shapes on the horizon, but that hardly seemed to matter. I stolled along the sands, watching the waves roll in, then swam round a little headland to a second beach, marvelling at the clearness of the water and the whiteness of the sand. Water not too cold either!

Rather than follow the WH directions, I decided to explore the low-lying Rubha da Chuain peninsula, which had intrigued me when I looked at the map. It turned out to be magical: a maze of tiny white beaches and crystal-clear rock pools.

ImageIMG_4358 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4390 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The promontories and islets were covered with patches of pink thrift and bright yellow lichens.

ImageIMG_4377 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4379 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I explored it all by a combination of walking and swimming. Everything was idyllic, like a landscape in a dream.

ImageIMG_4385 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4423 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The only person I saw was a solitary kayaker

ImageIMG_4352 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4405 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I wandered back the way I had come, towards the main beach. The improbably sharp Sgurr na Ciche was just visible in the distance.

I paddled and scrambled back onto the main beach, doing a final swim parallel to the beach. There were now a few other swimmers and strollers around, and of course I had the famous Local Hero tune playing in my head.

ImageIMG_4433 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Even so, it was a walk memorable not just for its sheer beauty but also for the solitude, like a private heaven.

ImageIMG_4437 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

It was hard to tear myself away, but I had to get on - I wanted to see the famous Loch Morar!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by HalfManHalfTitanium on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Stunningly beautiful Camusdarach

Postby Hillbeback » Thu May 31, 2018 7:52 pm

Stunningly beautiful photos. With weather like that there is nowhere in the world as beautiful I'm interested to know what camera you use as your photos are very impressive.
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu May 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks Hillbeback! - much appreciated.

Camera - I've had Canon compacts for many years. After my stalwart G15, which had performed well at 20,000ft in the Andes, died on Beinn na Lap in April, I splashed out on a Canon G9 Mark II.

The new camera is ridiculously small, but so far I love it. I am a bear of little brain so I only use Auto. Its only drawback is that it sometimes doesn't capture the exact colour of bluebells, but very few cameras can do that properly I think.

Just about to post up some pics of the Grey Corries which was a stunning walk, hope you enjoy those too!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Really beautiful - and usual stunning photography :thumbup: :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland