walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from Crianlarich

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from Crianlarich

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 27/05/2018

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a large group of us climbed Ben Vorlich, a friend's last Munro, I drove back to the youth hostel at Crianlarich, to see the moon shining down on Cruach Ardrain and the railway station.

Image. by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Cruach Ardrain always seems to me like the parent hill of Crianlarich, so it seemed the natural walk to do the next day. I decided to approach, and descend, by Glen Falloch, and also take the opportunity to explore the less known area overlooking the Braes of Balquhidder.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had my usual early start and enjoyed the beautiful early morning scenes among the woodland along the River Falloch.

From there it was an easy plod up to the pond on the Grey Height - Beinn a'Chroin and An Caisteal in the background.

Beinn Dorain in the distance, with the faint outlines of the main Blackmount summits to its left.

Cruach Ardrain from the Grey Height.

Large balanced boulder and a glimpse of Ben More.

The path over Meall Dhamh was easy, but from the col beyond, Cruach Ardrain's summit pyramid loomed up imposingly. However the path is easy: it slants up the western flank of the pyramid to meet the ridge path coming from Beinn Tulaichean, and from the saddle it is a short step to the interesting small crags of the summit knolls.

Beinn Tulaichean and Stob a'Choin can be seen in the background of this shot.

A view towards Ben Lomond from a perched boulder near the summit.

Three distant walkers under the boulder.

The summit cairn, Ben More and Stob Binnein.

South to Ben Lomond

Looking back to Cruach Ardrain from the Beinn Tulaichean path.

The summit cairn of Beinn Tulaichean, Ben Lui in the background.

North to Cruach Ardrain.

I've not included the view towards Ben More and Stob Binnein from Beinn Tulaichean. It is already covered by the photo with the best caption on the whole of Walkhighlands.

(scroll down the page https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77622 to find out what it says!)

I headed back a little along the ridge, then descended easy grass slopes into Coire Earb. I was relieved to see that my descent route looked as easy and pleasant underfoot as I'd pictured it from looking at the map - down into the corrie, then contouring around the foot of the crags in the middle distance.

The lush grass of Coire Earb.

Looking south from below the crags to Stob a'Choin, a hill I have my eye on for my next visit to this area!

The crags of Stob Glas which I traversed under. Nice easy grass ledges all the way.

Beinn a'Chroin and the headwaters of the Ishag Burn.

Not the most fascinating photo, but this is the watershed of Scotland. From the soggy patch in the foreground, water flows west to the Firth of Clyde and east to the Firth of Forth. Beinn Tulaichean in the background.

I looked out for the formations marked intriguingly on the map at "The Grips" and "The Convention" but couldn't see anything remarkable. However this bend in the Falloch among red (sandstone?) boulders was quite a surprise amid so much schist. My route of ascent, the NW ridge of Cruach Ardrain, forms the skyline.

Image. by Half Man Half Titanium, on Fl

Beinn a'Chroin above the head of Glen Falloch and another Coire Earb. From here the hill looks totally flat-topped. It's very different when you are actually on it!

More views of upper Glen Falloch.

So many photos of this boulder on WH, maybe it even has its own hashtag

ImageIMG_5115 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

River Falloch again, idyllic in the warm afternoon sun.

ImageIMG_5121 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from Crianlarich

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:12 pm

That view to the south from the crags is perfect. Great photos and thanks for the report - I'm heading back to Crianlarich soon so will attempt a similar route, I think :)
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland