walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe - peak of last resort

Meall Buidhe - peak of last resort

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Buidhe

Date walked: 25/05/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 520m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had not been a good day :( I drove all the way to Glen Orchy to climb Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh only to find the track through the forest closed for "harvesting" I didn't have a proper map so I had to go somewhere I'd been before. I carried on to the start of the Dalmally horseshoe, but again there was a NO ENTRY sign on the gate - power station works or something. I could probably have ignored that, but I just felt it wasn't my day: on the way home at Glen Ogle, however I thought I would repeat Meall Buidhe - I could manage that without a map
There was frantic activity in the car park as they were doing work on the TV mast at the top of the track, but I managed to ascend it without getting run down by any cement lorries etc and stopped for a rest just short of the top. it was a bit hazy, but I'd bought my "long lens" and took a few shots looking down Glen Dochart
5533 .JPG
Stobinian and Ben More
5537.jpg
Ben Dubhchraig and Ben Lui - surprisingly there seemed more snow on the SW face than in central gully
5540.JPG
I assume this must be Beinn Udlaidh across Glen Lochy
5543.JPG
North to Meall Ghaordaidh
5544.JPG
There was much activity around the mast
5545.JPG
I seemed to remember the summit was to the South, so I headed through the thick heather towards this lump. It was further than it looked - there was a lot of dead ground - and once I got there the summit was still some way beyond but over much easier terrain.

Views from the summit
5546.JPG
Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin
5550.jpg
A wider view
5550a.jpg
Ben Ledi and Ben Vane
5550b.JPG
The hills on the North side of Glen Dochart
5551.JPG
North to the 709m sub-summit of Beinn Leahainn
5552.JPG
Ben Lawers
5570.JPG
A wider view over Beinn Leahainn
I wandered over to the sub-summit - it seemed churlish not to - and there were better views to the North and East. - there was even a cairn on it.
5576.JPG
The Loch Tay hills from Beinn Leahainn
5579.JPG
Looking down Loch Tay
From near the mast I headed straight down, cutting out the zig-zags, but the ricketty deer fence looked a bit of an obstacle. Following it South however I soon came to a gate and returned to the car
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Meall Buidhe - peak of last resort

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Pity about Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh but there's quite a bit of the route through forestry unless you're going from the SW so can understand why you'd hold off - nice alternative, have often wondered about approaches to Meall Buidhe while driving through Glen Ogle - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:47 pm

rockhopper wrote:Pity about Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh but there's quite a bit of the route through forestry unless you're going from the SW so can understand why you'd hold off - nice alternative, have often wondered about approaches to Meall Buidhe while driving through Glen Ogle - cheers :)

Thank RH . I have done Mhic Mhonaidh before, but it's a great viewpoint and I wanted to repeat it with a camera. These days I just use Anquet to print out large scale route maps - that I can see without glasses - and fold them in my pocket .
But if I can't do my intended route I'm a bit b*gg*red :lol: :lol: So although I knew you could go from the SW it wasn't on my map and I had no idea where to start.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Looks like a good day was had in the end though with superb views thanks for posting
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland