walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More Old Friends

More Old Friends

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc

Date walked: 04/06/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 24.9 km

Ascent: 812m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove through the gloom and arrived at Auchallater in bright sunshine.

Left the car park around 7:20am, warm and no breeze to speak of.

Hundreds of young trees planted (and protected) along the river bank heading towards Loch Callater.

Arrived at the loch in 55 minutes then the climb starts and it doesn't muck about.

I was doing this hill fairly regularly three or four years ago and was getting close to 2hrs to the top of CAT - not today, 2hrs 20 mins and I was pleased with that in the heat.

Between the two Munros there is a sheltered grassy area and in here there were insects everywhere. None of the biting variety but really annoying - not sure I've ever seen so many insects before.

The walk to the second hill should be a stroll but with the arms going like windmills to keep the insects off and still tired from the 1st climb this was more difficult than it should have been.

At the cairn I decided I would settle for the two hills so just back tracked.

Unusually for me I was really lucky, all the surrounding hills were covered in low cloud except for the two I was on.

A bit of a breeze picked up on the way back and what a difference that made - no bother from the insects.

Even with cutting down from the planned 6 Munros to 2 is still covered 15.5 miles so a good 6hrs out in the hills.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland