walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain and Beinn An Dothaidh

Beinn Dorain and Beinn An Dothaidh

Postby yesper » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 04/06/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.63 km

Ascent: 1157m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally, back in Scotland, ready for some hill walking. No real hills in Denmark, highest point is 172 meters and 54 centimeters (Yding Skovhøj) - I guess nobody outside Denmark really consider that as a hill. Anyway, Denmark is still a nice place for hiking.

After arriving to Edinburgh with plane from Copenhagen and driving in to my favorite B&B :D in Ewich yesterday, today is the first day of a 10 day trip to Scotland and the ambitions have no limits :?.

The total failure - last year, only reaching the northern summit of Ben Lui and not the true, southern summit, descending down the wrong ridge (its a longer story...), should totally be revenged this year. Last year I did 9 munros on a 6 days trip in mostly rainy and windy conditions.

A weather forecast saying heavy rain in the afternoon meant I today was looking for a hill walk that could be completed in 5-6 hours. Beinn Dorain and Beinn An Dothaidh matched this criteria, so after breakfast I drove to Bridge of Orchy.

I did Beinn Dorain first, because of some reasons I will never tell (but it has something to do with the high ambitions).

The walk description on WH is pretty accurate, so was the weather forecast - short showers rolled in over the hills when I reached an Dothaidh.

On the ascend to Beinn An Dothaidh the path fades away and comes back again. With short visibility the compas was necessary a couple of times, but finally I ended up on the path leading to the bealach between the Northern and Southern summit - as expected.

Some pictures:
WaterfallToTheLeftOnTheWayUp.jpg
While working hard on the ascend, some nice waterfalls can be enjoyed. This one in the coire to the left side

MeAndDorain.jpg
First munro of the day, Beinn Dorain

ClearestShotOfTheDayFromDorainBackAtEnglishmanCairn.jpg
Clearest shot of the day from Beinn Dorain showing the Englishman's Cairn

MeAndDothaidh.jpg
Second munro of the day, Beinn an Dothaidh

RannochMoorFromDothaidhOnACloudyDay7.jpg
Rannoch Moor from Beinn an Dothaidh on a cloudy day

Summary (approx times including breaks):
Bealach between Dorain and an Dothaidh: 1 hour 30 min
Beinn Dothaidh: 2 hours 15 min
Bealach between Dorain and an Dothaidh again: 3 hours 5 min
Beinn An Dothaidh (nothern summit): 3 hour 55 min
Beinn An Dothaidh (western summit): 4 hour 10
Bealach between Dorain and An Dothaidh again: 4 hours 50 min
Back at Hotel Bridge of Orchy: 5 hours 55 min
yesper
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:1
Islands:2

Re: Beinn Dorain and Beinn An Dothaidh

Postby Riverman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Nice report and photos. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Re: Beinn Dorain and Beinn An Dothaidh

Postby the bearded wanderer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:07 pm

These are nice hills. My wife’s danish and we visit there every year. It is a country which loves the outdoors but this generally means longer low level trekking. We drove past the highest point last year on way to Skagen and it really just looks like a rolling field so never got out to ‘climb’ it. Enjoy your trip :D
the bearded wanderer

Munros:105   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland